A DIY sugar scrub with essential oils is fun and simple. It makes great gifts and takes only a few household ingredients. Let’s talk about how to make a sugar scrub with essential oils. The scent combinations are limitless… just use your own favorite essential oils!
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe Variations
We like to use organic, minimally processed sugars in our scrubs, but you can use anything you like since you’re not eating it. A cheap, white cane sugar will produce a lighter colored scrub, while the healthier versions will produce a tan-light brown scrub. I’ve even known people to color their scrubs with natural food dyes so they can make a peppermint scrub at Christmas and layer a white and red for candy-striped jars of essential oil sugar scrub.
- Lip Scrub: Use the recipe above. Unless you’re making this to gift you may want to fourth the recipe since this will make a lot!
- Exfoliating Foot Scrub: Leave out the honey and add more sugar if needed till you have a more crumbly consistency. Peppermint essential oil is a great one for a refreshing foot scrub!
- All-Over Body Scrub: The honey is optional for this one. I love the smell of it, and honey is great for the skin, but it will make for a softer scrub. If you want something a little stiffer you can leave the honey out, or add more sugar.
The essential oils you use will depend on personal taste, and whether you’re wanting something invigorating or relaxing!
Mama Z Pro Tip – To really tap into the exfoliation power of this scrub, you can use shower exfoliation gloves. Some exfoliation gloves are softer than others so choose a pair that suits your skin’s sensitivity. If the grain is too rough for you, yours skin may feel irritated.
Prepare your skin for a cleansing exfoliation without harming your skin by using my moisturizing body wash first, and then add the scrub to your skin before you wash off.
- 6 tablespoons organic Fair Trade sugar
- 4 teaspoons carrier oil*
- ¼ cup raw local honey
- 10 drops bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops lime or lemon essential oil
- Mixing bowl
- Glass jar for storage
- Mix the sugar, carrier oil, honey, and essential oils in a small bowl.
- Place in a glass jar.
- Use 1 to 2 tablespoons as desired as an exfoliating scrub in the bath or shower.
Alternative essential oil blends would allow you to customize the sugar scrub to whatever fragrance or therapeutic benefit you prefer. Consider trying:
- Awesome Body – equal parts orange, grapefruit, lime, lemon, and peppermint
- Joyful – Vanilla absolute, oleoresin or CO2 and orange (sweet or wild)
- Sweet Sleep – equal parts Roman chamomile, lavender, and vetiver