A DIY sugar scrub with essential oils is fun and simple. It makes great gifts and takes only a few household ingredients. Let’s talk about how to make sugar scrub with essential oils. The scent combinations are limitless… just use your own favorite essential oils!
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe Variations
We like to use organic, minimally processed sugars in our scrubs, but you can use anything you like since you’re not eating it. A cheap white cane sugar will produce a lighter colored scrub, while the healthier versions will produce a tan-light brown scrub. I’ve even known people to color their scrubs with natural food dyes so they can make a peppermint scrub at Christmas and layer a white and red for candy striped jars of essential oil sugar scrub.
- Lip Scrub: Use the recipe above. Unless you’re making this to gift you may want to fourth the recipe since this will make a lot!
- Exfoliating Foot Scrub: Leave out the honey and add more sugar if needed till you have a more crumbly consistency. Peppermint essential oil is a great one for a refreshing foot scrub!
- All-Over Body Scrub: The honey is optional for this one. I love the smell of it, and honey is great for the skin, but it will make for a softer scrub. If you want something a little stiffer you can leave the honey out, or add more sugar.
The essential oils you use will depend on personal taste, and whether you’re wanting something invigorating or relaxing!
DIY Sugar Scrub
- 6 Tablespoons organic fair trade sugar
- 4 teaspoons Mama Z’s oil base or your favorite carrier oil*
- ¼ cup raw local honey
- 15 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Mix all ingredients, store in glass container and enjoy as desired while bathing.
* No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.