When I was pregnant with my oldest, Esther, I put together this essential oil base recipe to use on my pregnant and postpartum body. I combined some of my favorite ingredients based on their certain benefits. I used raw organic coconut oil for the anti-fungal & antibacterial properties; sweet almond oil because it was a great carrier that wouldn’t affect the essential oil scent I planned to add and it’s great for the skin; jojoba oil because it permeates the dermis of the skin deeper; vitamin E for its awesome skin repair as well as to help keep the collagen & elastin bond tight behind the skin.
Table of Contents:
All-Purpose Carrier Oil Base & Video
You can add essential oils as you use the base to fill dispensers in your home. Use 1-2 drops for every one ounce of the mixture or use the carrier oil base in your other recipes and roll-ons as directed. Depending on the climate carrier oils for skin may go back to a solid or semi solid state so you can easily apply the same method that I use to melt the coconut oil above.
This mixture worked wonders for keeping our baby’s skin nourished. I applied it to her skin daily, even on the days we didn’t bathe. I love this for everypne from babies all the way up to adults!
Mama Z’s Carrier Oil Base
- 54 oz. raw (organic) virgin unrefined coconut oil
- 16 oz. sweet almond oil
- 8 oz. jojoba oil
- 4 oz. vitamin E
- quart or pint wide mouth mason jars
- Allow the coconut oil to turn to a liquid. Set in a warm place (76 degrees or higher) and depending on the climate this could take 1-2 days. You do not want to get this mixture too warm or it will destroy the natural antifungal and antibacterial properties that you get from a raw organic virgin coconut oil. I have used a space heater to heat a room to 80 degrees or the top of my gas stove while everything is off to gently warm my oil.
- Use a large cooking pot and mix all the ingredients together.
- Store in quart size mason jars.
Index of DIYs Using Mama Z’s Oil Base
You can use this customized oil base mixture in almost any DIY or remedy that calls for carrier oils but here are some of the recipes on our site that specifically call for this wonderful blend.
- DIY Lotion Bar or Salve Base – A thicker base for lotions and salves.
- Homemade Hand Soap – A gentle liquid hand soap with essential oils.
- Homemade Shave Cream – Make your own shave balm and eliminate many toxic ingredients.
- DIY Body Wash – This kid-friendly body wash can replace carcinogenic ingredients in many bath products.
- Essential Oil Sugar Scrub DIY – A great way to bring a healthy glow to your skin!
- DIY Lip Balm – Make your own lip balm with essential oils.
- Homemade Body Butter – Perfect for dry, irritated skin.
- Mama Z’s Hand Cream – Moisturizing hand cream to soothe dry skin.
- Homemade Perfumes or Colognes – Eliminate artificial fragrances with these DIY perfumes.
- Dusting Spray – A great wood polish to nourish and protect your natural furniture.
- Fibromyalgia Massage Blend – Great for general pain relief as well.
- DIY Muscle Rub Pain Relief Salve – Wonderful for after a workout.
- Natural Pain Relief Massage Oil – Great for chronic pain.
- Neuropathy Body Oil – Use it for nerve or muscle pain.
- Night-Time Detox Bath – Perfect for helping you release the day.
- Clear and Peaceful Roll-On Blend – Great for Thyroid support.
- Stomach Ache Roll-On Blend – Use these essential oils to ease tummy discomfort.
- Mama Z’s Joyful Blend – Great for postpartum depression, seasonal mood swings and more.
- ADD/ADHD Relief Roll-On – A perfect blend to help focus and mental alertness.
- Kid’s Remedies Roll-Ons – Sleepy time, anxiety, focus, itch relief, and more!
- Homemade Dog Shampoos – Help control fleas and ticks with this recipe.
- DIY Bug Repellent – Keep pests away!