I recently shared my love of making homemade non-toxic cleaners using essential oils. Besides just cleaning your home, essential oils are also great for cleaning your body. This homemade liquid hand soap recipe is simple to make and uses the same ingredients I recommend in many of my homemade skin care products.
Homemade Hand Soap Ingredients
When we make our own body care products it usually because we want to make it less expensively, and most importantly, with safe ingredients. We want to know what is going onto the skin of our loved ones and family members. That’s why one of the simplest ways to cut out toxic ingredients from your home is to make simple things like liquid hand soap yourself.
Just look at the comment ingredients found in hand soap produced commercially:
- Glycol ethers
- And, countless more…
Yikes…. Do you really want that on your skin? No. Especially when you can hand select ingredients that are known to be safe and effective.
- Vitamin E – One ingredient I often include in my skin care and bath products is Vitamin E. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties and also acts as a natural preservative to help improve the shelf life of your homemade soap.
- Essential Oils – See some of my favorite essential oil combinations and blends that I like to use in my homemade soap to keep things smelling great as well as clean. No artificial fragrances for us, thank you! 🙂
Our friends at TrulyFree just came out with a truly clean hand soap product & are giving away up to 4 F-R-E-E bottles with every purchase. ($3 per bottle – no subscription required!) which is perfect if you don’t have time to DIY with the recipe below.
Homemade Hand Soap Ingredients
After you make your homemade hand soap, check out my moisturizing hand cream which pairs perfectly with this essential oil DIY.
- ¼ cup Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap
- ½ tablespoon Mama Z’s Oil Base or your choice of carrier oil*
- ½ tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 20 drops essential oils
- Slowly add liquid castile soap to the glass jar.
- Add your vitamin E, Mama Z's Oil Base, jojoba, or sweet almond oil and essential oils.
- Top the jar with a sealed lid and shake well.
- Fill your hand soap containers with half soap mixture and half distilled water to make it easier to pump out. This also stretches your mixture!
Essential Oil Blends to Try
The sky is the limit here. Enjoy your favorite blends or, if you want to mix your own, try one of our family favorites.
- Christmas Blend – Fir needle (Balsam fir, Douglas fir, white fir), peppermint and vanillaabsolute
- Deep Breathing Blend – Cardamom, eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree
- Focus Blend – Cedarwood, frankincense, sandalwood and vetiver
- Good Bye Allergy Blend – Lavender, lemon, and peppermint
- Healthy Digestion Blend – Anise, caraway, fennel, ginger, lemon, tarragon
- Immune Boosting Blend – Cinnamon leaf (bark would be too strong in this recipe), clove, eucalyptus, rosemary, orange and lemon
- Happy Blend – Orange, lemon, bergamot, grapefruit and vanilla absolute
- Sleepy Time Blend – Roman chamomile, lavender, and vetiver