When people regularly use antiseptic mouthwash products as a preventative anti-cavity and gum disease solution, it is similar to taking a broad spectrum antibiotic every day to prevent getting sick. It literally destroys the entire microbial balance in your mouth. And, as many of us are aware regarding gut health, probiotics (good bacteria) are necessary for good oral health! That’s why we want to introduce you to our homemade mouthwash recipe.
Table of Contents:
Confused About Oral Health?
It’s no wonder people are so confused. Several clinical studies claim that topical antimicrobial agents are safe and effective to prevent and control oral disease, especially gingivitis and dental plaque. We’re talking about chemicals like chlorhexidine (which is an antiseptic antibacterial agent) and triclosan (an antimicrobial agent that has been a registered pesticide since the 1960s)! (1) Thankfully, a recent MedicalDaily.com article has clarified things for us with this stark headline: (2)
Antiseptic Mouthwash Raises Heart Attack Risk, Blood Pressure: Chlorhexidine Kills Off ‘Good’ Bacteria That Helps Blood Vessels Relax!
Here’s the quick run-down of the article:
- Antiseptic mouthwash products are commonly used to refresh and clean the mouth.
- According to a recent study published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine, using this type of mouthwash may actually increase blood pressure up to 3.5 millimeters of mercury (mmHg), raising your heart attack risk significantly!
- A total of 19 participants were recruited for the study where part of the group used antiseptic mouthwash, and another group did not.
- Measuring the oral nitrate-reducing capacity and nitrite levels to determine effectiveness, the researchers discovered that Cordosyl use retracts oral bacterial conversion from nitrate to nitrate, which ultimately reduces the blood nitrate levels that are known to increase blood pressure.
- Using mouthwash caused the participants’ blood pressure to rise between 2 to 3.5 mmHg, “with a noticeable effect found within one day of using the mouthwash twice.”
- According to the study authors, killing off “good” oral bacteria plays a vital role in determining the plasma nitrate levels, and the bodily control of blood pressure.
- “Killing off all these bugs each day is a disaster, when small rises in blood pressure have significant impact on morbidity and mortality from heart disease and stroke.”
Why DIY Mouthwash with Essential Oils?
Just recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) finally issued a ruling that officially bans the use of triclocarban, triclosan, and 17 other dangerous chemicals in hand and body washes. These products have been marketed as being which being more effective than good ol’ fashioned soap and water and consumers have been mislead to purchasing them!
“Consumers may think antibacterial washes are more effective at preventing the spread of germs, but we have no scientific evidence that they are any better than plain soap and water,” Janet Woodcock, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) said. “In fact, some data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long-term.”
Antibacterial product manufacturers have until 2017 to comply with the new law by removing all products from the market or that violate this ruling or remove antibacterial active ingredients.
But this still isn’t enough to keep us safe because triclosan is still in countless other products like deodorants, antiperspirants, body spray and toothpastes. For a list of products that include triclosan, Click HERE.
The bottom line is that, if we want to enjoy good health, we need to stay away from conventional toothpaste and mouthwash with harmful ingredients!
Making your own DIY mouthwash recipe is super easy. After making this great homemade mouthwash recipe and getting into the groove, I recommend creating your own homemade toothpaste for an added one-two punch!
- In a small glass, mix essential oils with carrier oil, witch hazel, and baking soda.
- Fill glass with distilled water.
- Swish in your mouth for 10-15 seconds and rinse.
- Makes several applications.
- Store remaining mouthwash in mason jar.
*Lime, lemon, grapefruit
*Orange, clove, peppermint
*Cinnamon, clove, orange
* No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.
Learn how to convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!