Do you have sensitive skin? If so, you probably use an aftershave spray or lotion after you shave to help soothe your skin. The problem with store-bought aftershaves is they often contain toxic ingredients and synthetic fragrances that aren’t as gentle as they seem! It’s time to switch to a natural, homemade aftershave!
Table of Contents:
Homemade Aftershave Options
So… which homemade aftershave should you make?
There are creams, sprays, salves, ointments…
And there are different fragrances: woodsy, minty, citrus, floral, musky.
Whatever your preference, you can personalize these DIY after shaves yourself super easy – the sky is the limit!
See more Gifts for Men You Can Make Yourself Here!
Natural Homemade Aftershave Cream
- ¼ oz emulsifying wax
- ½ oz carrier oil
- 3 drops vitamin E oil
- 2 oz aloe vera juice (not gel!)
- ¾ oz witch hazel (unscented and alcohol-free)
- 2 drops vegetable glycerin
- 6 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops sandalwood essential oil
- Put emulsifying wax, carrier oil, and vitamin E oil together into a small saucepan and melt over low heat. (double boilers work perfect)
- While melting, measure the aloe vera juice, witch hazel, and glycerin into a small glass cup or jar, warming them a little if needed, and stir to combine.
- Once oils are melted, add the liquids and heat everything just enough to ensure everything is melted and mixed well.
- Remove from the heat and whisk continually as the mixture cools. You’ll need to keep whisking until the lotion is thick, creamy, and a little frothy.
- Whisk in the essential oils last.
- Store this in a little glass jar, or a pump bottle for easy dispensing!
This will only stay good for a couple weeks, so make in small batches. You can refrigerate to extend the shelf-life.
Natural Homemade Aftershave Spray
- 4 tablespoons Witch Hazel
- 4 tablespoons Aloe Vera Gel
- 2 tablespoons organic grain alcohol
- 6 drops Hawaiian Sandalwood Essential Oil or Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- Combine all ingredients and keep in a dark glass spray bottle.
- Spray onto hands and pat face after shaving to soothe skin.
This recipe should last a couple of weeks without using harmful preservatives. Store in the refrigerator to extend shelf-life.