If you love dry shampoo, but don't want to use a store bought aerosol can of questionable ingredients like isobutane, butane and propane – this DIY dry shampoo recipe is for you! There are some natural alternatives that you can buy pre-made, but making it yourself is a more frugal way to go. Really, it costs so much less to make it yourself; it only takes a couple minutes, and the dry shampoo lasts for months.
Basically, with dry shampoo we need a way to absorb the oil and make our hair look clean and pretty, a little more volume and lift doesn't hurt either. Some natural products that absorb oil are cornstarch, baking soda, and arrowroot powder. By simply shaking 2-3 ingredients together with one of those items we can make a product that smells amazing, saves times, is on-the-go ready, and extends time between hair washings (which helps the hair stay healthier).
Essential Oils to Add to a DIY Dry Shampoo Recipe
Here are some suggestions of essential oils to add. Of course, you can use any essential oil you want in your DIY dry shampoo.
- peppermint – helps with blood flow and is invigorating.
- geranium and rosemary – make hair smooth and silky.
- tea tree – helps to heal your scalp of any issues that may be causing itchiness because it is anti-fungal. It was one of my favorite essential oils when I experienced hair loss post-pregnancy.
- lavender – soothes skin and helps dry skin.
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch
- a couple tablespoons of baking soda [optional]
- up to 10 drops of essential oils
- Put all the ingredients in a glass container with a lid.
- Shake well until everything is mixed.
- Apply with an old makeup brush.
- Tap the brush in powder and then on roots of hair.
- Let it sit for a minute or two before brushing/combing.
Extra tips for this homemade dry shampoo recipe:
- If you notice that your dry shampoo is starting to melt or is really clumpy, you might have used too much cocoa.
- If you have dark hair and don't want to put cocoa in your hair, apply the dry shampoo before going to sleep at night. That will give the DIY dry shampoo time to absorb the oil and you can brush or comb it out in the morning.
See all our Homemade Hair Care Recipes with Essential Oils Here!
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!