The bugs down south don’t take much of a break for winter. Our early springs have them awake and multiplying before you can say “homemade essential oil bug repellent!”
With three little kids, and one on the way, I feel like we’re constantly treating a bug bite. Of course the best thing is to prevent the bug bites from happening, but quick kids sometimes skip the line for Mama’s Essential Oil Bug Repellent and run right out the door. When I can catch them, this is the spray we use, and it works! (Smells good too!)
Why Use Essential Oil as Bug Repellents
My favorite way to repel insects is with natural products like essential oils for mosquitoes, flies and other buzzing pests. There are many oils that work, and even ready-made blends you can purchase, but we’ve found these essential oils work well:
- Tea tree
- Lemon myrtle
I love to use these powerful essential oils mixed with skin-friendly jojoba oil because it not only smells good, it’ll leave your skin feeling great too. If you’re worried about toxins and chemicals found in traditional bug repellents, give this a try and let me know how you like it.
The research surrounding DEET and other toxic bug repellents has me wanting to avoid them for me and my kids. Especially my little ones which have such sensitive skin and are still developing. That’s why I use this simple, homemade spray instead.
Here’s to a bite-free summer! All-natural insect repellent made with pure essential oils. Safe for the whole family.
Homemade Bug Repellent
- 1 oz of Mama Z’s oil base or other carrier oil*
- 1 drop citronella essential oil
- 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 drop tea tree essential oil
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop cypress essential oil
- 1 drop lemon myrtle essential oil
- Mix together in a small glass spray bottle and store in a cool dark place.
- Spritz on neck, arms and legs before heading outside, being careful to avoid your eyes as essential oils are strong and will burn.