If your dogs love going outside during the summer, then this homemade dog shampoo will come in handy using essential oils for dogs. This simple recipe for an essential oil dog shampoo is easy to use on your dog for a quick cleansing and fresh smell. When you are limited on time to give your pet a full bath using our DIY dog shampoo, then try the below recipe in a glass jar with shaker for simplicity.
Essential Oils and Dogs
While most essential oils are safe to use for dogs, there are a few that you should avoid using on man’s best friend. According to Dr. Roarke, the essential oil vet, it’s best to avoid:
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Many flea powders or dry shampoos available for dogs commercially include unsafe talcum powder and other ingredients that you don’t want rubbed your pup exposed to. (Or your kids and other family members who pet the dog!)
That’s where this dry shampoo for dogs is so powerful…you can personalize the amount and make sure the ingredients you use are totally safe for you and your pet alike.
Dry Shampoo for Dogs Powder
This dry shampoo powder is known to deter fleas from making your dog’s fur their new home. Along with the homemade dog shampoo, try our homemade flea and tick spray before they go outside or if you plan to take them on a hike.
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- glass jar with shaker lid
- Add baking soda and corn starch or arrowroot powder to glass jar.
- Pour essential oil drops into powder mix.
- Shake well.
- Sprinkle dry shampoo on your dog, starting at their neck – being careful to avoid their eyes.
- Work your way down their entire body and rub in well.
- Let them shake the access off and groom them with a dog comb or brush.