Everyone loves to play outside in the warmer weather, even our canines. Our lovable furry friends can get dirty quick when playing outdoors so it is nice to bathe them once a week. This DIY Dog Shampoo will help get rid of the stinky dog smell before they come back inside to sit on your lap.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Dogs?
The short answer is “Yes, but…”
The good news is that despite what you may hear on the interwebs, there are essential oils that are safe to use with your canine companions. Our good friend and Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine, Janet Roarke gave us an in-depth report about using essential oils with pets.
A good rule of thumb is to avoid the following essential oils for dogs:
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Generally speaking, the smaller your dog is the more dilute you would make your mixture.
Because some breeds like Collies and others can be very sensitive to synthetic pesticide chemicals, making a homemade shampoo with essential oils for the dogs in your family can be one way of keeping them safer for longer.
This DIY Dog Shampoo will also help any dry skin and itching from bug bites. The oatmeal bath is soothing and the green tea is perfect for their hair. Do not forget to keep your dog well protected outdoors this summer by using our homemade flea & tick spray which is made from essential oils for dogs.
DIY Dog Shampoo with Essential Oils
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups warm purified water
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- 1½ teaspoons vitamin E oil
- 1½ teaspoons Mama Z's Oil Base or carrier oil
- 1 green tea bag
- Place the oats and water in a blender and process until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lavender essential oil, vitamin E oil, and oil base. Add the blended oats and mix well.
- Empty the green tea bag contents into the mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Store in a glass jar. Use as you would any other dog shampoo.