Everyone loves to play outside in the warmer weather, even our canines. Our lovable furry friends can get dirty quick when playing outdoors so it is nice to bathe them once a week. This DIY Dog Shampoo will help get rid of the stinky dog smell before they come back inside to sit on your lap.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Dogs?
The short answer is “Yes, but…”
The good news is that despite what you may hear on the interwebs, there are essential oils that are safe to use with your canine companions. Our good friend and Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine, Janet Roarke gave us an in-depth report about using essential oils with pets.
A good rule of thumb is to avoid the following essential oils for dogs:
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Generally speaking, the smaller your dog is the more dilute you would make your mixture.
Because some breeds like Collies and others can be very sensitive to synthetic pesticide chemicals, making a homemade shampoo with essential oils for the dogs in your family can be one way of keeping them safer for longer.
DIY Dog Shampoo with Essential Oils for Dogs
This DIY Dog Shampoo will also help any dry skin and itching from bug bites. The oatmeal bath is soothing and the green tea is perfect for their hair. Do not forget to keep your dog well protected outdoors this summer by using our homemade flea & tick spray which is made from essential oils for dogs.
- 1 cup of oats
- ½ tablespoon Vitamin E Oil
- ½ tablespoon Mama Z’s Oil Base or favorite carrier oil*
- 1 drop of Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 green tea bag
- 1½ cups warm water
- Mix the oats and water until well blended. Set aside.
- Mix your lavender oil, vitamin E, and coconut oil separately.
- Combine your essential oil mixture with your oats. Blend well.
- Empty the contents of the green tea bag into your shampoo mix and stir until well mixed.
- Use once a month or more often for prevention and treatment, and be sure to use immediately following grooming.
* No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.