When you think of a precious little baby you definitely don’t want to use any items on their soft, new skin that have harmful chemicals. Products with harsh chemicals, detergents, or synthetic fragrance can irritate baby’s skin. There are organic items you can buy, but they are usually more expensive than their chemical counterparts. This homemade baby shampoo recipe can be made very inexpensively, and you only need a little bit for each use. It can also be used as a body wash and isn’t limited to babies’ use.
Only Natural Ingredients for Your Baby
The basic ingredients – and the very basic way to make this homemade baby shampoo – is a 1:1 ratio of castile soap and water. Some other ingredients make it more fun (glycerin for bubbles) and helpful for the body (essential oils). Plus a few gentle oils like lavender and roman chamomile will help boost that sweet baby smell we all love!
Ever wonder what makes the baby shampoo suds up in the baby bath? That foaming agent is usually Sodium Laurel Sulfate or SLS/SLES for short. But did you know that not only is it an environmental toxin, but it’s known to damage DNA? Ugh. The material safety data sheets for SLS openly admit it is mutagenic, meaning it damages DNA such that it can lead to cancer.
That powder-fresh scent so many baby shampoos have? Synthetic fragrances are created with any number of undisclosed ingredients (up to 3,000 different ingredients could be used). The dangers of synthetic fragrances like air fresheners are well-documented at this point so there’s zero chance I’m going to ever want them on my baby’s skin.
This is why a gentle, safe homemade baby shampoo recipe may be a much better alternative for you and your infant.
See all our Homemade Hair Care Recipes with Essential Oils Here!
- 1 cup Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap
- 1 cup distilled water
- 10 drops lavender essential oil or chamomile essential oil
- 1 teaspoon glycerin (optional for more bubbles)
- Optional ingredients for different skin types
- Organic aloe vera gel – start with 1 tablespoon
- Vitamin E oil – start with 1 tablespoon
- Herbal infused oil – start with 1 tablespoon
- Small mixing bowl
- Glass bottle with pump for storage
- In a small bowl, mix the liquid castile soap, water, essential oils, glycerin, aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and herbal infused oil (if using).
- Store in a glass bottle with a pump.
- Use as needed.
This homemade baby shampoo recipe can – and should – be adapted to your children’s skin type and what works best for them. Other ingredients you can add in various amounts are an herbal oil, organic aloe vera gel, or Vitamin E.