Life can present us with stressful situations and it is important to take a minute to stop, breathe, and relax. This do-it-yourself Stress and Anxiety Inhaler uses some of our favorite essential oils for stress and anxiety and is perfect to help calm you during those stressful moments, in the midst of a panic attack or when anxiety settles in.
Table of Contents:
What You Need to Know About Inhalers
Essential oils have long been proven to help aid in relieving anxiety, supporting healthy stress management, and managing emotional discomfort. These essential oils for stress and anxiety can be used in several different blends depending on your needs. See our recommended blends and recipe below.
When purchasing supplies for your essential oils for stress and anxiety inhaler, remember to buy certified organic cotton pads. Cotton is considered a dirty crop, being sprayed with pesticides. You want to make sure you only use organic and clean cotton in your inhaler to avoid toxins. You should be able to purchase these at a local health food store and cut to fit the tube that you’re using.
How Essential Oils Relieve Stress
It’s hard to pinpoint stress and anxiety to one simple cure as the root causes can be so multi-faceted. You’ll want to experiment with several of the essential oils above to see which ones work well for you.
Geranium – A sweet floral fragrance, geranium is a pleasant essential oil that tends to have anti-anxiety effects without sleepiness.
Sweet Marjoram – Historically called “the joy of the mountains” marjoram was used as a pain reliever. If your stress stems from physical aches, this is perfect to use in a blend.
Lavender – One of the most popular and well-known essential oils for stress and anxiety, lavender is one to turn to if your sleep is disturbed.
Clary Sage – Helpful for stress relief and sleep difficulties, especially where hormones are involved.
Ylang Ylang – The queen of essential oils, Ylang Ylang has a calming effect, even helping to decrease a rapid heart rate if anxiety is overwhelming you.
Roman Chamomile – Calming to the nervous system, this is an excellent choice for anxiety or panicky feelings. Note – use caution if you have ragweed allergies.
Rose – Proven effective against postpartum depression, rose has a myriad of balancing effects to help restore harmony to your mind, body and spirit.
Vetiver – A deep, smokey fragrance, this essential oil is a complex one that is used for ADHD, anxiety and more.
Learn more about why you should avoid prescription medications if possible and how how to use essential oils for anxiety here!
- Aromatherapy Inhaler
- 20 drops of Essential Oils *
- Mix your essential oil blend in a glass bowl or jar.
- Cut down your organic cotton pad to the desired size to fit inside your inhaler tube.
- Place the cotton pad in your glass bowl to adsorb your essential oils.
- Use tweezers to remove cotton pad and insert into your inhaler tube.
- Place top section onto inhaler tube.
- Use during a panic attack, stressful moments or when anxiety settles in.
* Any of these combinations can be powerful to help ease anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. Try them for yourself to see which is your favorite.
- Geranium, Sweet Marjoram, Patchouli, Sweet Orange
- Lavender & Vanilla Absolute
- Lavender, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, Vanilla
- Patchouli & Cedarwood
- Roman Chamomile, Rose, Palmarosa
- Vetiver & Roman Chamomile
- Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Valerian
- If you find that a particular blend works, trying using it to your laundry so you can wrap yourself in anxiety relief throughout the day, try adding your favorite blend to Wool Drier Balls during the air dry cycle when you do your laundry.
- For another nice option, create a 4 oz spray bottle for a room spritz, by adding the essential oils to the bottle, and top it off with 190 proof alcohol.
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!