As the popularity of natural medicine skyrockets, people are now using essential oils for fibromyalgia with great results. Truly, they are pure herbal pain relief in a bottle! To make a massage oil at home is relatively simple, and you can easily make preparations by using some of the most popular essential oils that you probably have in your cabinet already. The key is to know which ones, and that’s what we’ll help you with in this post.
Many people have fibromyalgia and don’t even know it! Here are some symptoms to look out for: (1)
- Morning stiffness
- Sleep disturbances
- Tingling or numbness in hands and feet
- Headaches, including migraines
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called “fibro fog”)
- Painful menstrual cycles
Of the more than 5 million people diagnosed with fibromyalgia, many deal with these symptoms so be sure to discuss them with your doctor.
Essential Oils for Fibromyalgia
Essential oils and other natural therapies can address all of these symptoms, helping to alleviate the various forms of suffering that pain presents. Relieving these symptoms can further help to slow the pain cycle, which helps people suffering from fibromyalgia become more mobile and help them sleep better, which can limit further pain.
With this in mind, look at this list again knowing which essential oils can help for which symptom:
- Morning stiffness (peppermint)
- Sleep disturbances (lavender)
- Tingling or numbness in hands and feet (frankincense)
- Headaches, including migraines (copaiba)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (peppermint)
- Problems with thinking and memory (vetiver, cedar wood)
- Painful menstrual cycles (clary sage)
- Other pain syndromes (wintergreen, orange)
MORE ESSENTIAL OIL USES & RECIPES! For 150+ effective recipes & natural remedies, get a copy of my national bestselling book, The Healing Power of Essential Oils. Buy today to get instant access to $300 in digital bonuses (videos, guides & more) to help you learn how to use essential oils safely & effectively!HealingPowerOfEssentialOils.com
The rule of thumb is to make a 2-5% dilution massage oil out of each of these oils to address the conditions that you need help with. Apply appropriately:
- Have a headache? Rub diluted copaiba into your neck.
- Sleep issues? Massage your feet and shoulders with some lavender.
- Morning stiffness? Run some peppermint into your achy joints.
- And etc.
Fibromyalgia Massage Oil
Although limited research has been done evaluating which essential oils for fibromyalgia are best, clinical trials have been done testing individual chemical constituents that are present in certain oils. For example, animal studies suggest that linalool (a monoterpene found in oils like bergamot), can be exceptionally pain-relieving for people suffering from fibromyalgia.
Other phytochemicals can help as well, and this was the inspiration for the recipe below. We have shared this blend for years now and the results that we’ve heard from people who try it have been superb. Our hope and prayer is that you find relief as well!
- 3 ounces of Mama Z’s Oil Base
- 2 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Camphor Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 4 oz Glass Jar
- Once you have your Mama Z’s oil base ready, mix in the essential oils until well blended.
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator and use every four hours as needed.
- Shake before each use as the ingredients may separate.
* One ounce of oil base = 2 tablespoons
Optional – You can replace one ounce of oil with thickened aloe vera gel if you are also battling dry or irritated skin.