What’s the best way to prevent disease? When you consider the way that God designed our immune systems, it really shouldn’t have to be rocket science (or super expensive) to prevent disease. Unfortunately, most people have lost touch with how their bodies work and are getting less and less qualified to take care of their health and the health of their families. This is why it’s important to KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) to make sure that you focus on the Top 10 Ways to Prevent Disease!
The Truth About Disease Prevention
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act uses the word “prevention” 227 times, yet ObamaCare misses the mark because its definition of prevention is centered mostly on medical tests: (1)
- Dental checkups
- Eye exams
- Medical checkups
- Prostate exams
The current, new focus in healthcare is all about “prevention.” At least that’s what we’ve been told. The problem with this strategy is that these exams don’t prevent disease. They are all diagnostic, and the pitfall in “early detection” is that the condition already exists and, when people find out that they have a disease, it is often too late!
Confusing literally hundreds of millions of people, trying to prevent disease is actually a reactive approach to health care, and it simply is not disease prevention.
Master the Art of Using Essential Oils at Home! To help you reach your health goals with essential oils, please be sure to take the time to learn the fundamentals of aromatherapy. To help you do this, we have created a 10-Part Video Masterclass that we want to give you an opportunity to watch for FREE. This is our gift to you for being part of our Natural Living Family All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!
Our Dilemma: The Question Americans Should Be Asking To Prevent Disease
Because of the current push toward diagnostic prevention, every American should be asking the above question.
The United States has ultimately taken a quantity over quality approach to personal health care with MORE drugs, MORE doctors’ visits, and MORE surgeries being touted as the “solution.” Americans are all but at the mercy of the insurance-run medical industry because people have forgotten how to manage their own health and the health of their children.
The Answer to Prevent Disease: The Impact Of Having a STRONG Immunity
People are now focused on more proactive measures to preventing disease and are working toward boosting their immune systems. Thankfully, a grassroots movement has sprung up the past few years and the light bulb has been turned on for literally millions of Americans!
What do the experts have to say about this strategy? (5)
“No doctor has ever healed anyone of anything in the history of the world. The human immune system heals and that’s the only thing that heals.”
– Bob Wright, American Anti-Cancer Institute Founder
“With cancer or any other chronic disease, it’s all about lowering inflammation and increasing the immune system response.“
– Dr. Sunil Pai, M.D.
It won’t be long before nearly 100% of Americans are giving sickness and disease the boot by focusing on true prevention! Today, up to 75% of people in the U.S. have reported using complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) to combat disease, replace medicine and boost their immunity. (6)
10 Successful Strategies to Prevent Disease
In our search to live a healthy, vibrant abundant life, it has dawned on many of us that we should focus our energy on preventing disease before it ever takes root in our bodies. There are literally countless ways to do this, but 10 strategies stand out among the rest!
#1 How to Prevent Disease: Drink Pure, Clean Water
The human body is made up of water more than any other element or compound in the world which is the reason why drinking pure, clean water is #1 on the list of disease prevention strategies.
According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry, and Dr. Jeffrey Utz, Neuroscience, pediatrics, Allegheny University: (7)
- Your brain and heart are composed of 73% water.
- Your lungs are about 83% water.
- Your skin contains 64% water.
- Your muscles and kidneys are 79%.
- Your bones are watery 31%.
- Newborn babies are made up of about 78% water. By one year of age, this drops to 65%.
- In adult men, roughly 60% of their bodies are made up of water.
- In adult women, the percentage of water is about 55% because they naturally have more fatty tissue.
Your body is a veritable sponge and if you want to detox and cleanse your body from impurities, drinking water is the best way to flush them out of your system!
According to Dr. Chris Perkins, the best type to accomplish this is alkaline water that has been ionized.
“Alkaline Water Ionizers eliminate organic and non-organic impurities, acidic ions and pollutants in drinking water by processing the water through a carbon saturated filter. The filter traps harmful elements, leaving cleaned water ready for ionization. The next step is where the ionized water is made; by storing the water in a compartment containing negatively charged electrodes a natural reaction takes place. When positive ions are introduced to the negative electrodes the final results produce alkaline water. Alkaline water is known for its health benefits by aiding the body in sustaining ideal PH levels and helping the body to hydrate faster regulating the body’s temperature. It also eliminates toxins and typically contains calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium.”
- Water Filters – Next to air, we cannot live too long without water. Unfortunately, most municipal drinking water is filled with harmful neurotoxins like fluoride, chlorine and even prescription medications! Whether it’s a sink-mount or entire house system, having pure water is a must. This is what we use for water filtration.
#2 How to Prevent Disease: Eat Pure, Clean Food
Next to drinking good water, it is vital to eat pure, clean food on a daily basis. In addition to being 100% organic, the foods that you eat should be free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and as natural as possible, meaning no processed food, bleached flour, sugar or preservatives. With that being said, if you had to choose one type of food for the rest of your life, the best bang for your buck when it comes to immune boosting power would be the cruciferous vegetables.
These vegetables, which are also known as Brassica vegetables, are all a part of the cabbage family. (8) These plants, are included in the Cruciferae family and are known by their cross-shaped flowers with four petals.
Most commonly, you’ll be able to find these at the grocery store:
- Bok Choy
- Brussels Sprouts
- Broccoli Cabbage
- Collard Greens
- Mustard Greens
Be sure to eat these immune boosting veggies in their raw and steamed forms. The key to their cancer fighting and immune boosting power are compounds known as indoles, thiocyanates, nitriles, and isothiocyanates (9).
- Thrive Market – This is an online membership like Costco for health enthusiasts! All of your favorite health products in one place for a great price, delivered to your door. Super convenient! Dr. Z tribe members get a FREE jar of coconut oil as a gift for signing up for their 30-day trial!
#3 How to Prevent Disease: Best Immune Boosting Supplements
Today, most multi-vitamins are a waste of money and not needed as they oftentimes cause a dangerous imbalance of vitamins and minerals in the body. People have been supplementing vitamins and minerals in various forms for thousands of years. However, currently, some people have gone overboard.
- Too much calcium can cause iron deficiency.
- Too much iron can cause zinc deficiency.
- Too much vitamin C can cause copper deficiency.
- And the list goes on and on…
Across the board vitamin deficiency is unrealistic in our culture, and scientists believe that overdosing on vitamins is actually more of a problem. Excessive vitamin A use, for example, has been known to cause liver damage, coma and even death. (10, 11, 12)
Some immune boosting supplements on the market will help target immune function while leaving the other nutrients in your body alone. Many of them work very well.
Beta Glucan is a type of soluble fiber that is defined as a “naturally occurring polysaccharide that is found in the cell walls of whole grains, seaweeds, mushrooms, and yeast.” (13) Often used in food additives, the most common forms in the US are usually extracted from baker’s yeast and oats.
Beta glucan is well known for its ability to regulate the immune system and it has been proven to increase the activity of the pathogen-fighting immune cells known as macrophages. Glucans have a stimulating effect on lymphocytes, which increases the amount of cells that destroy viruses and tumor cells.
Glucans interact with these cells, resulting in an increase in the number and size of B-Cells, T-Cells, and natural killer cells that are responsible for destroying bacteria. (14).
Scientific articles are clear on one thing: Beta glucan sourced from baker’s yeast holds the most benefits, leading researchers to focus even more on this source in more recent studies (15). Yeast glucans have shown promise in:
- Controlling infection post-surgery in high risk patients
- Decreasing inflammation due to allergic rhinitis
- Decreasing tissue damage due to arthritis
- Decreasing reliance on IV antibiotics and ICU stays after surgery
- Improving wound healing
- Increasing cancer-killing neutrophils
- Reducing septic shock
- Reducing mortality due to cancer in rats
- Protecting against infectious diseases
- Protecting against radiation exposure
Scientific journals, which note all of these benefits, suggest that the purest, most effective source for beta glucans is baker’s yeast in its raw form (16). Research continues to provide even more insight into beta glucan and its full benefits are still being studied.
- Beta Glucan – Personally, I get my beta glucan from Better Way Health, the #1 distributor of Transfer Point beta glucan in America. I know the owners, they are good, Godly people and I trust them. Tell them Dr. Z sent you, they’ll take good care of you. 🙂
#4 How to Prevent Disease: Stress Management
Stress management is definitely on everyone’s Top 5 Things To Do To Stay Healthy list. Stress kills. Period. In the words of neurobiologist Robert Sapolsky in the National Geographic and Stanford University documentary Stress: Portrait of a Killer. (17)
“Stress is not a state of mind… it’s measurable and dangerous, and humans can’t seem to find their off-switch.”
Sapolsky spells out that people are most susceptible to stress if they struggle with the follow feelings:
- Having no control.
- Being left in the dark (not having enough information about how difficult or long a challenging situation may be).
- Being stuck, with no way out
- The perception that things are getting worse
- Having no “shoulder to cry on” (lack of support from loved ones)
- Americans are experiencing an increase in emotional and psychological stress, which is why the American Psychological Association has observed the following: (18)
- 43% of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
- 75 to 90 % of all physician office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
- Stress is linked to the six leading causes of death – heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver, and suicide.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has stated that stress is a hazard in the workplace.
- Many people believe that money is the leading cause of stress in America today! (19)
- 64% of Americans say that money is their primary stress and nearly 75% of everyone has reported experiencing some stress about money. Other main contributors to stress include: (20)
- Work (60%)
- Family responsibilities (47%)
- Health concerns (46%)
Because these main stressors are oftentimes unavoidable, it’s very important that we learn how to manage them. These top 10 stress relieving techniques are absolutely critical for people to learn to help prevent disease and keep sickness at bay: (21)
1. Prayer – you are not alone, you have a Creator who loves you!
2. Breathe deeply – from the belly, not the chest.
3. Be present – stay aware and be in the present, no distractions.
4. Reach out – we are social beings, people are NOT designed to be alone.
5. Tune in to your body – listen and pay attention to the signs and clues.
6. Decompress – chiropractic, essential oils and therapeutic massage are fantastic ways to manage stress at the neurological and cellular level.
7. Laugh out loud – as the proverb says, “A merry heart does good like a medicine!”
8. Crank up the tunes – enjoy music, dance, and play!
9. Get moving – walking, Tai Chi and yoga are fantastic ways to keep mobile.
10. Be grateful – thankfulness for what we have breeds contentment!
- Wholetones Healing Frequencies Music – Using sound frequency to heal the body, mind and reduce stress is becoming a popular topic in the research community. Having been used for thousands of years in the form of ritual chants, this Christian-based music therapy has helped thousands of people by addressing the root cause of disease.
#5 How to Prevent Disease: Avoiding Toxins
Toxic overload is one of the main causes of stress. Similar to the anxiety caused by financial and work issues, many of these stressors are unavoidable (e.g. smog, acid rain, fumes at the gas station, exhaust in traffic, cleaning chemicals used by janitors at your work and etc.). It’s absolutely essential to limit our exposure to the environmental toxics that are within our control such as:
- Conventional, GMO foods
- Harmful cleaners and toxic body products
- Needless pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter drugs
- Nicotine Processed foods
Let’s take a look at sugar…
Do everything in moderation, right?
Absolutely not. Nothing could be further from the truth!
White processed sugar, high fructose corn syrup and all of their evil accomplices are possibly the most dangerous substances on the planet and should be avoided at all cost! Nancy Appleton, PhD says that there are more than 140 ways that sugar may ruin your health. (22) Here are just a few: (23, 24, 25)
- Causes dental carries
- Causes skin conditions like acne and eczema
- Contributes to hormone imbalance and adrenal fatigue
- Depletes your body of natural energy and prevents mineral absorption in your bones
- Encourage stomach ulcer formation
- Feeds candida
- Greatly inhibits metabolism
- Leads to osteoporosis and arthritis
- Causes gallstones
- Spikes blood sugar levels
- Suppresses the immune system
According to nutrition expert K.C. Craichy (Quest for the Cures), just 100 grams of sugar inhibits our white blood cell’s ability to kill the pathogens in our body by up to 90%. And this happens within 15 minutes of consumption! (26) Additionally, in the words of the American Anti-Cancer Institute,
“When we consume sugar, we are simultaneously shutting off our defenses while pouring gasoline on the fire that is Cancer. When we take into account that “50 to 70% of our total immune system cells cannot see cancer … even on our best day,” the notion of adding it to our diet seems even more blasphemous.” (A.J. Lanigan, Quest for the Cures) (27)
We can certainly see the same with other environmental toxins. This is the reason why we all need to minimize these toxins as much as possible!
- Ceramic Cookware – Don’t believe it, teflon is still bad for you! Glass is best, but it’s way too hard to find, too expensive and too fragile. Don’t waste your hard earned money on awesome, wholesome food only to ruin it by cooking with Teflon. Ceramic is the most cost-effective, safest and durable solution! Use the code DRZ10 or click HERE to get a 10% off coupon!
#6 How to Prevent Disease: Regular Cleansing and Detox
Regular cleansing and detox are key to strengthening your immune system, because environmental toxins are absolutely impossible to stay away from.
Two of the more effective detox strategies are the Master Cleanse and coffee enemas.
Also known the Lemonade Diet, the Master Cleanse was designed by Stanley Burroughs in the mid-1940s to help place the human body in the position where it could heal itself of disease. His work was (and still is) brilliant because the special concoction of fresh lemon juice, pure maple syrup and cayenne pepper helps sustain people during a 10 day fast so that the energy that is normally required to fuel the digestive system can be used to fight illnesses.
The Master Cleanse is a very simple program:
- First, squeeze fresh lemon juice.
- Then add Grade B or C maple syrup, and powdered cayenne pepper into filtered water.
- Drink a minimum of 6 to 12 glasses throughout the day.
- Drink laxative tea before bed and begin the day with a salt water flush.
Coffee enemas go hand-in-hand with the Master Cleanse and have been used since the early 20th century. They are known to help relieve constipation, insomnia and cognitive problems. They are also effective at eliminating candida and other pathogens without disrupting intestinal flora. Coffee enemas are regularly used in natural cancer protocols and were even part of the Merck Manual up until the mid 1970s. (28)
- Annmarie Skin Care – Your skin is a sponge, and the chemicals in conventional skin care products contain toxins that have been linked to a myriad of health conditions. My friends at Annmarie are offering $10 sample kits + $10 coupon just for the Dr. Z tribe!
#7 How to Prevent Disease: Restful, Sound Sleep
Getting a good, quality sleep is deeply connected with longevity and overall health. (29) Of course, the amount of sleep that each person requires is unique to that individual. Most experts agree that the majority of people should get an average of 7 hours every night. In the words of one study, “Average sleep quality was better related to sleepiness than sleep quantity,” which means that people should minimize these common sleep disturbances as much as possible:
Excessive stress – Can cause nightmares and wandering thoughts.
Poor quality mattress and pillow – about a third of your life is spent in bed, so don’t skimp on the cost because you usually get what you pay for!
Eating late at night – as well as drinking caffeinated beverages after 5:00 p.m.
Electromagnetic frequency (EMFs) – turn off your cell phone and Wi-Fi router at night.
- Air Purifier – Far too many people take for granted that every breath we take will either give us Abundant Life-giving gasses like nitrogen and oxygen, or fill our lungs with pollutants. Make sure you get a purifier that filters out mold and other allergens, especially when you’re sleeping!
#8 How to Prevent Disease: Regular Exercise
Regular exercise is #8 on this list! I bet you thought it would have been part of the Top 3! The only reason exercise is beneficial (and, yes, it is beneficial) is because we live such sedentary lifestyles. Since the beginning of time, people didn’t set aside time to “exercise,” they simply lived a life of consistent, regular movement.
During his TED talk, National Geographic reporter Dan Buettner uncovered some key insights in what makes the “Blue Zones” uniquely distinct from the rest of the world. Blue Zones are those regions where people regularly live to be 100 years and beyond including the highlands of Sardinia, the northern part Okinawa, and the Seventh-Day Adventist community in Lomo Linda, California.
Buettner discovered that NONE of these groups exercised. They walk a lot and live a life of movement. They also tend to garden and do many things “by hand.” So you need to get moving if you want to live like a Blue Zoner.
- The Essential Oils Diet Book – Need help figuring out how to get started with a logical, easy-to-implement exercise program? Pick up a copy of The Essential Oils Diet Book and claim your bonus videos here.
#9 How to Prevent Disease: Eat Dirt!
Humic and fulvic acid are nature’s nutrition carriers and are created by soil-based organisms (SBOs), the probiotics that you’ve probably never heard of before. They are tiny particles that can be found in humic substances (aka dirt). To maintain a robust immune system to prevent disease, your gut flora needs to be balanced, and SBOs help considerably.
SBOs are referred to as “good” bacteria, and these probiotics normally live in dirt. They provide our GI tracts much needed support for digestion, food assimilation and nutrient absorption. Nearly 900 studies have been done referencing soil based organisms in the scientific literature, which suggests that they can prevent a wide variety of health conditions such as: (30)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Nutrient deficiency
- Autoimmune disease
- Inflammatory disease
- Bacterial, fungal, and viral infections
- And the list goes on and on…
Bacillus subtilis, bacillus coagulans and saccharomyces boulardii are the 3 most critical SBOs that people should regularly consume for disease prevention.
- Heal Your Gut Summit – To learn more about gut health, don’t forget to check out the Heal Your Gut Summit I hosted with my buddies Donna Gates and Dr. Josh Axe!
#10 How to Prevent Disease: Essential Oils
And the leaves of the trees are for the healing of the nations.
I can think of no other substance on earth that epitomizes this Bible verse than essential oils.
Extracted directly from the bark, flower fruit, leaves, nut, resin or root of a plant or tree, just one drop of an essential oil can provide the amazing health benefits that each oil provides. Used medicinally for thousands of years, the potency behind these oils is their ability to support your natural healing systems.
Essential oils are a complex network of molecules, and carry unique effects to the body. Scientists can analyze the structure of an essential oil using gas chromatography/mass spectronomy (GC/MS) methods that reveal each molecular component. People looking for natural solutions to the toxic chemicals that are in their home, body and healthcare products are enjoying oils in what seem to be a limitless variety of applications.
Remember that living the Abundant Life is a process and utilizing natural remedies is a must! Yet far too many people get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information on the Internet today, which is why I always recommend taking one step at a time and enjoying the journey. Implement changes in your life that are easy and fun and don’t get bogged with all the to-do’s and to-don’ts.
They are so potent at preventing disease that I have created a series of essential oil profiles, an A-Z guide to empower you with the tools that you need to use essential oils safely and effectively!
- Essential Oils Revolution 2 – To learn more about essential oils, don’t forget to check out the summit I recently hosted with my good friend Sylla Sheppard-Hanger from the Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy.
Even though we don’t need to walk around loaded at the hip with hand sanitizer, we live in a very sick and toxic world, and deadly pathogens can take advantage of us when we have a slight lapse of immunity. Even the healthiest person who was raised on organic food and a healthy environment since birth is susceptible to disease!
But God has given us an immune system for a reason. The body has been designed with an unbelievable ability to heal itself. When given the right nutrients and fuel that it needs to fight disease, the body will heal and do it superbly!
Bible Health is Your Birthright in Christ! To enjoy the abundant (healthy) life that Christ promises us in John 10:10, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!