Watermelon is such a summer staple! Pair it with fresh blueberries, which are full of so much healthy goodness, and you have the perfect dessert for your next cookout or even a delicious treat for a weekend brunch. Add in a little Himalayan salt, honey, and a little fresh mint and the flavors will really pop! You can even top it with my delicious coconut milk whipped cream to make it extra indulgent!
This delicious watermelon and blueberry salad is such a fresh and bright choice for any cookout or summer meal. Plus, with the color scheme, it’s a festive dish to serve at a Memorial Day or 4th of July cookout.
- 5 cups organic cubed watermelon
- 1 pint organic blueberries
- Juice of ½ organic lemon
- 1 dropperful liquid stevia
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup vegan dairy-free feta alternative or vegan mozzarella-style shreds*
- 2 cups organic baby spinach
- 2 cups organic Tuscan kale or other kale (remove stems and spine and tear into small pieces before measuring)
- Pinch of freshly ground pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Large mixing bowl
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed watermelon and blueberries. Pour the lemon juice and stevia over the top.
- Sprinkle on the mint and the vegan cheese, if using. Toss thoroughly to combine.
- Toss the spinach and kale together in a large bowl. Top with the fruit and cheese mixture. Sprinkle with sea salt.
One of the best things about this salad is the addition of the blueberries and all of the wonderful health benefits that go along with them. Leaving the blueberries in their natural form, while adding some extra ingredients to give the salad a robust flavor, allows you to take full advantage of the natural properties. Blueberries are extremely nutrient dense, packed with antioxidants, fiber, Gallic acid, and so much more. They really are a superfood!
Another beneficial ingredient in this recipe is Manuka honey. This type of honey provides four times the nutritional content than other types of honey, which makes it a powerful addition to your pantry. It contains zinc, potassium, magnesium, and other important nutrients while being a natural way to add sweetness to your favorite dishes. It’s surprising how just a little of this liquid gold can enhance your health!
We have more wonderful salad recipes that make use of the abundance of wonderful, fresh fruits and vegetables of the summer. All of our recipes feature ingredients that naturally benefit your body while satisfying all of the cravings you might have. You’ll never feel like you’re being deprived as you make lifestyle changes that will keep the whole family healthier and happier than ever before.
Be sure to download my Recipe Makeover and start making changes in your fridge and pantry that will add up to a healthier way to live. It features simple ingredient swaps that can help transform your favorite recipes into something better for you while still being tasty.