We all know we’re supposed to drink a certain amount of water each day, but in the bustle of daily life, water consumption is often the last thing on our minds! We start the day with good intentions, and by noon we realize we’ve consumed everything but water. Having a delicious detox water recipe on the counter is a great way to make sure you’re getting in that H20.
Plain water can get boring; why not amp it up with essential oils? Implementing this into your daily routine will more than double your water consumption!
Table of Contents
Benefits of Drinking EO Detox Water
Essential Water Concentrate is my carefully curated detox water recipe. I use a mix of liquid stevia, vinegar, and citrus essential oils to create a delicious concoction. Water on its own is great, but this beverage does double-duty.
Plus, it’s common knowledge that if something tastes great, you’ll want more! And drinking plenty of water has tremendous benefits.
1. Drinking Enough Water Prevents Overeating
I believe that determining your “why” is key to success. Luckily, there are many reasons why water is a crucial ingredient to a healthy body. Your body is an intelligent system that communicates thirst. If your body is dehydrated, it tries to alert you to hydrate it through mild cramps, and at times, stomach rumbles.
Many times, we misinterpret thirst signals as hunger pangs, which can lead to overeating. Keeping your body hydrated can eliminate miscommunication and overeating.
2. Drinking Enough Water Helps You Be Your Best Self
On a deeper level, when our bodies are adequately hydrated, we feel better. Our brains are sharper; we have fewer headaches (1) and more energy. When we feel our best, we can give our families our best, and in turn, impact the world.
NLF Readers Get a FREE Print Copy!
We are on a mission to helping our Natural Living Family community master the art & science of using essential oils to make your own healing remedies and transform your home & body products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces. That's why we are giving you a FREE hard copy of our National Bestselling book.
What Is My Ideal Water Intake?
Contrary to popular belief, everyone has a different ideal water intake. Most Americans suffer from some level of dehydration. You want to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water regularly, especially if you’re sweating or exercising often.
There’s always too much of a good thing, however, even in this area. Drinking more water than your body needs can lead to digestion issues (1) and feeling overly full. To avoid overhydration, listen to your body. The same skills you use to determine if you are satisfied while eating apply to this area.
This recipe makes one gallon of concentrate, which is a four-day supply. I recommend that you don’t drink more than 2-3 glasses a day, which keeps you safely within the maximum oral dose of EO recommendations that we find in aromatherapy safety texts. For more on ingesting essential oils safely, check out this post.
6 Healthy Ingredients in Detox Water Recipe
To make my detox water, you need a few simple ingredients.
- Liquid stevia
- Lemon or lime essential oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Grapefruit or orange essential oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Purified or distilled water
- (Optional) If you want a supercharged concentrate, you can add one scoop or packet of electrolyte powder. I recommend Ultima’s Electrolyte Powder.
Each of these ingredients plays a key role in energizing and detoxifying your body. Here’s a simple ingredient breakdown.
Liquid Stevia: Liquid stevia is my top recommendation for seamlessly blended drinks. It tastes great, and there are so many different flavors. I love using Sweet Drops in my recipes because of the variety of flavors. Stevia is a great sweetener that won’t raise your blood sugar and cause you to store excess fat.
Lemon or Lime Essential Oil: Lime essential oil is one of the “Big Four” that Dr. Z and I talk about in our The Essential Oils Diet book. D-limonene is what gives this oil its superpowers. Lime can help suppress appetite, and in doing so, promote weight loss. It can reduce inflammation and help decrease stress. All of these factors play into weight gain!
Lime is one of my favorite essential oils. It’s tasty and smells like a tropical paradise. Lemon essential oil is a great mood-lifter and is rich in antioxidants.
Grapefruit or Orange Essential Oil: Another “Big Four” oil in the Essential Oils Diet plan, grapefruit EO is great for metabolism. It’s a no-brainer for a detoxifying water recipe! In our family, we call orange essential oil a liquid antidepressant. It triggers happy mode! (3) It also tastes great and smells even better.
Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV is a great detoxifying ingredient! Incorporating apple cider vinegar into your detox water recipe can help you stabilize blood sugar and lose belly fat. (4) Plus, you can find apple cider vinegar at most stores. I recommend purchasing apple cider vinegar with the “mother” for maximum benefits.
Freshly Squeezed Lemon or Lime Juice: This adds an extra boost of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Put a few slices in your jar for extra flavor.
Purified or Distilled Water: I recommend using purified or distilled water in all our recipes. Water in this state contains valuable minerals, and any junk is filtered out.
Safety Note about Essential Oils: Everyone knows that oils and water don’t mix. That’s why you need other ingredients to help the essential oils disperse. In this detox water recipe, I use stevia and vinegar to help the process. Remember: You should never just drop an EO in water and take a gulp!
An Important Word About Safety
You would think that the water that comes from your faucet is healthy, but you’ll see that it is not the best drinking option when you examine tap water safety! The chemical pollution in tap water is linked to many health issues, including:
- Congenital disabilities & infertility
- Brain fog
- Dementia & Alzheimer’s
- And the list goes on and on.
So when you’re using water in a recipe like this, we highly recommend that you use the highest quality, purified water possible. That’s why we recommend the AquaTru Water Purification system – a countertop reverse-osmosis system.
What is Aqua Tru?
- Aqua Tru is the first CERTIFIED, COUNTERTOP REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM that can make better than bottled-quality water – right from the tap.
- It requires NO PLUMBING or INSTALLATION and sets up in just minutes.
- Aqua Tru can remove thousands of toxins and contaminants from your water and is certified to remove 76 of the most toxic and dangerous ones (15x more than a pitcher filter).
- Three replaceable filters are long-lasting and affordable. They last from 6-months to 2 years (600-1200 gallons), based on average use. The AquaTru unit also keeps track of your filter usage and shows an alert when one needs to be changed.
- Save thousands of dollars over the cost of bottled water.
- Aqua Tru is made of plastic, but Tritan plastic is the same high-grade non-BPA plastic used by Nutri-Bullet. (If a concern, we recommend transferring water to a glass pitcher.)
- Aqua Tru water tastes great!
See more about why we love our AquaTru Countertop Water Purifier here!
Essential Oil Detox Water Recipe
Making this recipe is simple! It’s become part of my morning routine because it takes about 5 minutes to do. Here’s how to prep enough for four days.
- 1 dropperful plain or flavored liquid stevia
- 10 drops lemon or lime essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit or orange essential oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Purified or distilled water
- 1 scoop or packet electrolyte powder (optional; see Notes)
- Put the liquid stevia, essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice into a 1-gallon glass water jug (see Notes). Fill to the top with purified water. This is your concentrate.
- To make one serving, add 16 ounces (about one-fourth) of the concentrate into a 32-ounce glass container and fill it with purified water. I distribute the concentrate among four 32-ounce glass containers, filling each halfway so it's prepared ahead of time and ready to go.
- For an added nutrition boost, add 1 scoop or packet of electrolyte powder and shake vigorously.
I use Ultimate electrolyte powder.
You can find giant glass water jugs at many health food stores and Whole Foods.
Step 1: Get Your Concentrate Ready
Put the liquid stevia, essential oils, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice into a 1-gallon glass water jar. Fill the jar to the top with water. I recommend using glass because it’s better for the environment than plastic, and certain oils can eat away at plastic. You can find a jar like this at Whole Foods, Amazon, and many health food stores.
Step 2: Prepare a Single Serving of the Detox Water Recipe
To make one serving, add 16 ounces of the concentrate to a 32-ounce glass container and fill it with purified water. For an added nutrition boost, add one scoop or packet of electrolyte powder and shake vigorously. Even though it tastes incredible, please don’t drink more than 64 ounces a day to stay within aromatherapy safety guidelines.
Do I Need to Refrigerate My Essential Oil Concentrate?
I leave my mixed detox water on the counter to remind my family to hydrate. We go through it quickly because we have so many people in our family, and I refill it each day.
The extra concentrate I store in the fridge. If you want a colder drink, feel free to refrigerate your mixed detox water.
Learn how to make your own healing remedies, convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!