There are lots of natural toothpastes on the market, and I know you’ll love this homemade toothpaste recipe to make your own toothpaste or tooth powder. Our family likes this bentonite clay essential oil toothpaste recipe for a clean, healthy mouth!
I’m not going to lie. Clay isn’t the most wonderful tasting thing, but some coconut oil to make it smooth, stevia to sweeten, and a few essential oils for freshness and you’ll soon get used to it.
The Importance of Oral Health
Oral health is vital to abundant living when it comes to physical health and wellness. An estimated 80% of disease symptoms are caused by problems in the mouth, and millions are exposed to disease-promoting dental procedures every day. Dental hygiene is so overlooked health issues in conventional and integrative medicine.
For example we know that oral bacteria plays a factor in almost 90% of all heart attacks. It’s important to take care of your mouth to stay healthy from the inside out.
That’s where essential oils can come into play. Research is showing how essential oils can improve oral health so incorporating some of these beneficial ingredients in your homemade toothpastes.
Homemade Toothpaste Powder
This recipe is for tooth powder, but it makes a great toothpaste too!
Note: The color of your finished product may vary depending on the color of your clay and the essential oils used.
- ⅓ cup of Bentonite Clay
- 1½ teaspoons of Stevia powder
- ¼ teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
- 3 tablespoons Mama Z’s Oil Base or favorite carrier oil*
- 10 drops of essential oils**
- Mix the dry ingredients in a food processor.
- In a separate container, add your chosen essential oils to the carrier oil and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the food processor gradually until well blended. Mixture should be granular and slightly damp.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid.
To make toothpaste, once the tooth powder is complete, gradually add in water and more coconut oil, blending as you go, until you reach the desired consistency.
* No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.
** Essential oils are great for oral health and these are some of our favorite blends for your homemade toothpaste recipe:
- Lime (3 drops), lemon (4 drops), grapefruit (3 drops)
- Orange (4 drops), clove (3 drops), peppermint (3 drops)
- Cinnamon leaf (3 drops), clove (2 drops), orange (5 drops)
- Chamomile (5 drops) and wintergreen (5 drops)
- Frankincense (5 drops) & myrrh (5 drops)