And guess what? Managing your high blood pressure doesn’t have to be a chore to do! It’s pretty simple and easy as making the essential oil inhaler recipe below!
High Blood Pressure Reducing Oils
There are very real, documented health benefits associated with essential oils for high blood pressure. Notably, they have positive and profound effects when it comes to reducing stress levels and helping reduce high blood pressure. Because of this, it’s not too surprising that certain essential oils and other aromatic products can be beneficial in preventing heart disease.
In 2012, Korean researchers set out to test this theory and evaluated how inhaling essential oils for high blood pressure could benefit 83 pre-hypertensive and hypertensive patients. Creating a blend of lavender, ylang-ylang, marjoram, and neroli (20 : 15 : 10 : 2), they choose these oils because they suspected them to do the following: (2)
- Lavender – alleviate cardiac excitation, lowers BP, and is effective in hypertension and palpitations.
- Ylang-ylang – lower BP, alleviates palpitations and nervous system excitation, and promotes emotional relaxation.
- Marjoram – lower sympathetic nervous system activity and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, resulting in vasodilatation to reduce cardiac strain and decrease BP.
- Neroli – bring forth emotional soothing and comfort and is effective in cardiac palpitations secondary to shock or fear.
As the method of intervention, the study group was provided with an aromatherapy necklace containing essential oils for high blood pressure-soaked stone, while the placebo group was given a necklace with artificial fragrance. Instructed to wear the necklace during the day, they were told to place an aroma stone with two oil drops by their bedside to ensure 24-hour inhalation. Researchers discovered that by inhaling this special essential oil blend, patients were able to enjoy immediate and sustained blood pressure reduction – as well as lower stress levels!
This recipe is an adaption from that research study for essential oils for high blood pressure…
Aromatherapy Inhaler to Calm Blood Pressure
- Aromatherapy inhaler
- Pre-cut organic cotton pads
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 7 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 5 drops marjoram essential oil
- 1 drop neroli essential oil
- Place cotton pad in inhaler tube.
- Add drops of essential oils directly in the tube on the cotton pad.
- Alternatively, you can drop the essential oils into a glass bowl, roll the cotton pad into the oils to absorb them, and then insert into the inhaler tube using tweezers.
- Remove cap and breathe in for 5 minutes twice a day while resting, meditating or even watching TV.
- Store in purse and be sure to have one handy at work.
* Alternatively, this blend could be added to your essential oil diffuser to use at night to support balanced blood pressure.