When you’re out working in the garden and you get stung by a red ant or wasp, it really makes the rest of the day miserable! This essential oil ant killer is what I like to use for both red ants and wasps.
The trouble with traditional pesticides is, it’s hard to find an ant killer that won’t harm the beneficial insects you actually want to have in your garden, or leach chemicals into the soil, which will then end up in your food. I have found this homemade recipe to be effective and I love knowing that the ingredients are safe for my family and the many critters that frequent my garden.
Pest Control for Organic Gardens
When it comes to gardening, one thing all gardeners deal with in some form or fashion is pests. From insects to worms, to unexpected reptiles (snakes!) I’ve seen just about all possibilities of working outdoors.
There are some easy ways to manage pests using organic, non-toxic methods.
- Cleanliness. Eliminate clutter and hiding spots for snakes to minimize their habitat. Once I used cinder blocks to support a large container plant and a snake made his home in the little crevices. YIKES!
- Diversity. A life-friendly garden tends to self-regulate. For example the one year I had some tomato hornworms come and attack my tomatoes and within a couple of days a flock of yellow finches began to visit and wiped them all out!
- Healthy Plants. A healthy plant can fight off pests and disease, much like a healthy immune system functions in our own bodies. With plants, this means starting with the best soil built with organic compost and amendments.
- Heirloom Plants. I love using heirloom plants for their tried-and-true resistance to pests as well as my ability to save their seeds from one year to the next. Plus, flavor to die for!
When it comes to working in the garden, I know we are going to be touching, smelling, and even eating the plants coming out of the garden. So it’s important to me to make sure we aren’t directly absorbing, inhaling, or ingesting harmful chemicals.
This ant and wasp killing spray is a huge part of that because I can knock out nests or hives without toxic chemicals.
Organic Gardening Made Easy Masterclass!
Learn more about organic gardening and non-toxic landscaping with my Organic Gardening Made Easy masterclass.
Get ready to say goodbye to those pesky red ants and wasps! These natural ingredients are probably already in your cabinet and essential oil collection!
- Mix all the ingredients (soap, EOs, etc.) in a bucket and pour in water.
- Pour entire contents to saturate ground where you see the ants or where the wasp hive is.
- Wait one week until the next application.
If other pests are a problem this essential oil spider spray might be a good option for you!
Learn More About Organic Gardening with Our Masterclass! See all my secrets for non-toxic landscaping with my Organic Gardening Made Easy masterclass.