A good lip balm can be pretty pricey in the store, and while you can read the ingredients on the package, you never know what quality those ingredients are. Making your own DIY lip balm recipe with essential oils not only saves you a lot of money, it ensures you know what’s in your lip balm!
A homemade lip balm recipe makes great gifts and stocking stuffers. We make a batch of 50 or more at a time from our DIY lip balm recipe and keep it on hand to give to people. When I tuck a few extras of my homemade lip balm recipe into my purse, I put my name on mine so I know which I’ve used, then I always have the extras to giveaway when someone needs one.
Toxic Chemicals in Lip Balm
With lip balm products you not only absorb the chemicals through your skin but you actually ingest the lip product directly. Most people who use lip balm on a regular basis actually ingest pounds of it over their lifetime. So don’t you want to make sure that what you are using has only healthy ingredients?
Unfortunately, most of the lip balm products out there do not have safe ingredients:
- Petrolatum – Ew! The unfortunate truth is that most chap stick products include petroleum based ingredients which have links to breast cancer, are known to clog pores and creates a barrier that prevents moisturizing ingredients from being absorbed.
- Parabens – These compounds are known endocrine disruptors that mimic estrogen and create havoc with your hormones.
- Fragrance or Flavor – We’ve warned about the dangers of fragrances before, but there’s never a need to include them in lip balm when you can easily make your own.
Take control of your health by switching dangerous chemicals for clean, non-toxic ingredients. This homemade lip balm is an easy recipe to make that uses essential oils to personalize it.
See more Gifts for Men You Can Make Yourself Here!
DIY Lip Balm
This recipe is super quick and easy to make, and you can modify it using your own favorite oils. Sometimes we leave out the peppermint and use grapefruit instead!
- 1 Tablespoons Beeswax*
- 3 Tablespoons Mama Z’s Oil Base or your favorite carrier oil**
- 2½ teaspoons Shea Butter
- 5 drops Vitamin E Oil
- 2 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 15-16 lip balm tubes or tins
- Set a glass measuring cup or a jar into a sauce pan with an inch of water in it to create a double boiler. Melt the wax, coconut oil and shea butter in the jar over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the Vitamin E and essential oils.
- Carefully pour into tubes or small tins.
- Let cool.
**No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.