What You Will Learn
- How to Make Kale and Lentil Soup
- What Makes Kale and Lentil Soup so Healthy
- Variations for Kale and Lentil Soup Recipes
How to Make Kale and Lentil Soup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, finely chopped or 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves, freshly pressed
- 2 medium organic carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 large can (28 ounces) organic diced tomatoes, drained or organic tomato sauce
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 2-3 drops cumin essential oil
- 1 drop thyme essential oil
- 1 cup combination red, green & brown lentils, rinsed (you can use any combination)
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (1 box)
- 2 cups purified, distilled or ionized water, boiling
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 small bunches of organic baby kale, chopped or 10 oz bag of frozen organic kale
- Add olive oil to a large pot on medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, and carrot pieces. Cook until the onion and garlic are very tender and starting to brown.
- Next, add cumin, curry, and thyme and cook for about 30 seconds to one minute, then add the diced tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Then add in all of the essential oils.
- Pour in the lentils, broth, 1 cup of water, and lemon juice.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, and white pepper.
- On medium heat, bring your mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes so that lentils are cooked through.
- If desired, you can puree this entire mixture with an immersion blender then add the greens afterward. Cook 5-10 more minutes until greens are cooked through.
- Use within 5 days when stored in the refrigerator or freeze in smaller portions.
Why This Kale and Lentil Soup is so Healthy
Cooking with fresh, organic kale from our garden is one of my favorite things. It makes a great addition to soups, can be cooked on its own, or added to smoothies and salads for a wonderful nutritious boost. Kale is one of our favorite superfoods – such a wonderfully nutrient-dense vegetable, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and lots of great health benefits.
Garlic is also one of the healthiest foods you can possibly eat. In my initial research for my article about the health benefits of garlic, I was able to find more than 4,400 peer-reviewed articles talking about garlic’s unique ability to prevent and treat a plethora of diseases.
My extensive research revealed: Daily consumption of garlic is not only healthy, but it is also associated with the reversal of three of the leading causes of death globally.
In fact, I found benefits for reducing the risk of cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and infections. This soup recipe is an excellent way to get your consumption of garlic in for the day with a delicious, hearty meal!
Olive oil health benefits are also quite profound. It’s one of the better oils when you compare it to other oils and the flavor is lovely for enhancing the soup above. Taken together, you can see how this kale and lentil soup is both delicious, and healthy! Be sure to buy the best quality olive oil you can find.
Variations for Kale and Lentil Soup for Other Delicious Options
You could use any of the cruciferous vegetables in place of (or in addition to) kale in this soup for a delicious, nutritious meal. Cruciferous vegetable cancer fighters are also known as Brassica vegetables, and they are all a part of the cabbage family. The most common options include:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Bok Choy
This would give you a lot of variations to play with when you’re making this soup. Use what is coming out of your garden – many of these are Fall Garden Foods you can grow in your backyard! Or buy them whenever they go on sale to save money in the grocery store.
Are you ready to make changes to your diet that will help you to eliminate toxic, store-bought foods? Join us for Dr. Z and Mama Z’s Toxic-free Healthy Home Makeover Tour and see many of the simple changes that we have made in our kitchen, pantry, garden, and other rooms in our home to create a healthier environment for our families. You’ll find wonderful, easy ways that you can begin taking steps toward a toxic-free lifestyle right away!