But, as you work with your health care professional, do everything you can at home to improve your healing process. Using essential oils to manage thyroid imbalance can be helpful and feeding our bodies correctly can also make a profound impact. These tips will help.
Some of the Best Foods for Thyroid Health may Already be in Your Kitchen!
- Brazil Nuts are a great source of selenium. The thyroid has the highest selenium content among your body organs, so deficiency may cause imbalances. They are high in omega 3s which reduce inflammation and normalize immune function. Try using them in a homemade nut butter!
- Cilantro is powerful herbal medicine in any form. While the essential oil benefits are amazing, simply eating fresh cilantro is a powerful detox , safe enough for daily use.
- Pears are high in fruit pectin—great for helping you detox and flush out heavy metals.
- Oranges are notoriously good for people with thyroid conditions, often recommended as one of the top three foods to eat daily. (Note—this is not true of bottled orange juice, only fresh oranges, eaten whole or fresh squeezed/ blended.)
- Pumpkin seeds are an important source of zinc which seems to have a symbiotic relationship with the thyroid gland—adequate zinc is required to synthesize thyroid hormone, and thyroid hormones are essential for zinc absorption.
- Yogurt provides vitamin D for immune regulation, and vitamin D deficiency is linked to thyroid disorders. We use coconut yogurt for the healthy bacteria to improve gut health, without the dairy that I’m sensitive to. If you aren’t dairy-sensitive look for organic, grass-fed yogurt.
- Kelp — even a little bit gives plenty of iodine which is required to synthesize thyroid hormone. Ease into eating more kelp by replacing 1/3 of the salt in your salt shaker with powdered kelp.
Unhealthy Foods and Hidden Kitchen Dangers to the Thyroid
- Unfermented soy products—both foods and supplements (although fermented, non-GMO products such as tamari and miso are fine)
- Factory-farmed meat (a better choice is local, organic, grass-fed meat from animals who are humanely raised and who have NEVER consumed GMO feed)
- Fruit juice—almost as bad as soda for your liver and blood sugar, and after pasteurization, almost devoid of fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- PUFAs, also known as common vegetable oils, like canola, corn, and soy oil (try extra virgin coconut oil instead)
- BPA and plastic that touches your food—no matter how safe plastics claim to be, it’s best to rely on the abundance of glass and stainless food storage options available
- Coated cookware—most nonstick coatings contain known carcinogens or endocrine disruptors, as in hormone (including thyroid hormone) disruptors.
Thyroid Drink Recipe- Super Thyroid Smoothie!
This flavorful Super Thyroid Smoothie recipe will give you a daily serving of nutrients that include some of the best foods for thyroid health and balanced function. It contains some of the best, yet most available foods for thyroid support in one delicious thyroid drink recipe.
- 3 Brazil nuts
- 5 stems cilantro (wash, and pluck leaves; discard stems)
- 1 drop cilantro essential oil
- 1 pear, sliced crosswise with skin on
- 1 orange or tangerine, peeled
- 1 drop orange essential oil
- 2 T raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- ¼ c yogurt (We use coconut yogurt)
- Bonus: sprinkle in some powdered kelp
- Wash all produce
- Pluck cilantro leaves, and discard stems
- Slice unpeeled pear crosswise, and poke out seeds with a butter knife
- Peel orange or tangerine
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth, adding quality water if needed to liquify
When your thyroid is not functioning well, you may be deficient in key nutrients. Some deficiencies may contribute to the thyroid imbalance while others are a result of the imbalance. In either case, feeding your body what it needs every day, such as this thyroid drink recipe will help you feel better faster.
Enjoy this free thyroid-boosting recipe every day as you work toward better health.