Tea tree essential oil is an anti-fungal, which makes it a great addition to your bathroom cleaner. This homemade bathroom cleaner recipe is simple to put together and perfect for spraying down sinks, toilets, and countertops. I truly believe in only using non-toxic cleaners in my home!
Essential Oils for Cleaning
When it comes to creating homemade bathroom cleaners the best way to avoid toxic chemicals in most commercial cleaners is to use essential oils known for their cleaning power. Here are some of my favorites to use in my homemade bathroom cleaners.
Tea Tree – Tea tree essential oil is a proven anti-bacterial choice…a must for a homemade bathroom cleaner! BONUS: It’s also great for fungal control which will help prevent mildew in a moisture-rich environment like the bathroom.
Citrus oils – Lemon, orange or other citrus oils are powerful cleaning agents. Plus, I just love the uplifting scent of lemon for a homemade bathroom cleaner. This is a go-to for household cleaning sprays I make for myself.
Other essential oils you could turn to have proven anti-microbial or anti-bacterial properties and could be used in homemade bathroom cleaner sprays include: oregano, lavender, geranium, peppermint, clove, and turmeric. While the recipe below doesn’t utilize them, you could swap them in to customize your cleaner for your specific needs.
Don’t you just love the smell of orange essential oil? It is known for uplifting moods, which is perfect when being stuck cleaning the bathroom. Plus, it smells so fresh that your guests will be welcomed when visiting. If you enjoy making your own household cleaners, check out my DIY Kitchen Cleaner, DIY Glass Cleaner and DIY Wood Surface Cleaner.
- 2 tablespoons Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 25 drops tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops orange or lemon essential oil, or a mix of both
- 15 drops lemon eucalyptus or lemon myrtle essential oil
- 2 cups distilled water
- Place the liquid soap, baking soda, and essential oils in a spray bottle and mix well.
- Pour in the water, replace the lid, and shake to combine.
- Shake before each use, and use as you would any other bathroom cleaner.