I’m not sure about you, but my wife and I utilize aromatherapy all day long and we love our essential oil diffuser recipes! They enhance our mood, health and virtually every aspect of our lives! We have a steam diffuser in nearly every room in our home, and once we gave all those toxic plug-ins and aerosols the boot, we started to notice some pretty cool changes in our health and the health of our children.
What You Will Learn
* Be sure to scroll down to the end of this post to view beautiful essential oil recipes for diffuser that you can print and share with your friends! *
Using an essential oil diffuser is a fantastic way to bring a wonderful, pleasant aroma into a room, in addition to all the other benefits of using quality essential oils in your home. You can use a single essential oil or an essential oil blend.
Not only is inhalation the oldest form of essential oil use, it is also arguably the safest. Most essential oil diffuser recipes are relatively safe for most people in most cases due to the high level of dispersion. More direct effects can be obtained by breathing in a steam directly or inhaling right from the bottle, or from a few drops on a cloth. This carries the aromatic benefits from your favorite healing plants directly into your respiratory system and mucous membranes, dispersed throughout the steam or air molecules.
For inhaled oils, you only need a small amount to create a big impact. Diffusers will use a bit more, but direct inhalation is up close and personal and only requires a couple of drops. Here are some of the methods you might use to use your favorite essential oil diffuser recipes.
- Diffusion – Good for blends intended to affect the entire room. Place as few as 2-3 and as many as 6-10 total drops in the diffuser or in a pot of simmering water and let it disperse throughout the room. The benefits should be lasting after the diffusion has ended; there is no need to run it continuously. Ideally for oils that are energizing, antimicrobial, promoting memory and focus, relaxing. Ex: citrus, lavender, rosemary.
- Personal inhalation – Good for portable, direct inhalation for specific benefits to an individual. Fewer drops are needed due to the close proximity of use. Place 1-2 drops of a single oil or a pre-prepared blend of oils on the inhaler, then hold it close to the nose and breathe in periodically. Inhalers can be a piece of porous jewelry, a piece of cloth or handkerchief, or inhalers made of a wick of sorts placed in a glass tube. Ideally for personal benefit such as clear breathing, focus, anxiety, headaches, and stress relief. Ex: eucalyptus, bergamot, peppermint.
- Steam inhalation – Technically also personal inhalation, “tenting” is more intensive and not very portable. When the oils need to be inhaled in greater concentration and affect the respiratory system more directly, 2-3 drops of a single oil or pre-prepared blend can be placed in a bowl of boiling water – usually warmed in and poured from a tea kettle. Place a towel over your head and drape it over the bowl (forming a tent, of sorts), close your eyes, and breathe deeply. Ideally for clearing the nasal passages and respiratory system. Ex: eucalyptus, citrus, tea tree.
- Sprays – Aromatic sprays have benefits of both inhalation and, in the case of antimicrobial oils, surface cleaning benefits. Combine 10-20 drops of a combination of oils to ½ oz alcohol or witch hazel, then add ½ oz distilled water and shake to combine. Spritz in the air, on linens, or on clothes as desired. Ideally for air freshening, cleaning, antimicrobial purposes, body sprays, and even topical anti-inflammatory benefits and healing. Ex: tea tree, lemon, thyme.
Special Note on Steam and Reed Diffusers
By far, the most effective and most popular way to utilize aromatherapy is through steam diffusion. You can easily find diffusers online (this is my favorite one). Simply:
- Fill your diffuser with tap water up to the “fill line” or fill marker.
- Add 4-6 drops of your favorite oil or blends, see below for LOTS of great DIY recipes.
- And enjoy. Voila!
Mama Z and I love the diffusers by Aroma2Go which have a sophisticated “Euro” look and either glass or BPA free plastic components for safety.
Reed diffusers are more “old school” and are the more traditional way to utilize aromatherapy. What did people do before electricity, right? 😉
Not as simple as steam diffusers, but still very easy to do. Once you get a small glass container with a narrow opening (you can usually find some good one at thrift stores). Simply add in:
- Several reed diffuser sticks (these are the ones I bought) OR bamboo skewers (4-6 should do)
- 1/8 cup – 1/4 cup carrier oil (depending on the size of your bottle)
- 15-25 drops of essential oils (as low as 15 drops for 1/8 cup carrier oil and as much as 25 drops for 1/4 cup)
Dr. Z’s Favorite Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes
Here are some of my favorite essential oil diffuser recipes!
- Christmas Blend – Fir needle (Balsam fir, Douglas fir, white fir), peppermint and vanilla absolute
- Deep Breathing Blend – Cardamom, eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree
- Focus Blend – Cedar wood, frankincense, sandalwood and vetiver
- Good Bye Allergy Blend – Lavender, lemon, and peppermint
- Healthy Digestion Blend – Anise, caraway, fennel, ginger, lemon, tarragon
- Holy Anointing Blend – cassia, cinnamon, frankincense, myrrh
- Immune Boosting Blend – Cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary, orange and lemon
- Joyful Blend – Orange, lemon, bergamot, grapefruit and vanilla absolute
- Sleepy Time Blend – Roman chamomile, lavender, and vetiver
Tip: Mix and match and have fun! Find your “personalized diffuser blends” that fit YOU. Then let us know your favorite blends on our Facebook page or group!
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!