I’m not sure about you, but my wife and I utilize aromatherapy all day long and we love our essential oil diffuser recipes! They enhance our mood, health and virtually every aspect of our lives! We have a steam diffuser in nearly every room in our home, and once we gave all those toxic plug-ins and aerosols the boot, we started to notice some pretty cool changes in our health and the health of our children.
What You Will Learn
Using an essential oil diffuser is a fantastic way to bring a wonderful, pleasant aroma into a room, in addition to all the other benefits of using quality essential oils in your home. You can use a single essential oil or an essential oil blend.
Not only is inhalation the oldest form of essential oil use, it is also arguably the safest. Most essential oil diffuser recipes are relatively safe for most people in most cases due to the high level of dispersion. More direct effects can be obtained by breathing in a steam directly or inhaling right from the bottle, or from a few drops on a cloth. This carries the aromatic benefits from your favorite healing plants directly into your respiratory system and mucous membranes, dispersed throughout the steam or air molecules.
For inhaled oils, you only need a small amount to create a big impact. Diffusers will use a bit more, but direct inhalation is up close and personal and only requires a couple of drops. Here are some of the methods you might use to use your favorite essential oil diffuser recipes.
- Diffusion – Good for blends intended to affect the entire room. Place as few as 2-3 and as many as 6-10 total drops in the diffuser or in a pot of simmering water and let it disperse throughout the room. The benefits should be lasting after the diffusion has ended; there is no need to run it continuously. Ideally for oils that are energizing, antimicrobial, promoting memory and focus, relaxing. Ex: citrus, lavender, rosemary.
- Personal inhalation – Good for portable, direct inhalation for specific benefits to an individual. Fewer drops are needed due to the close proximity of use. Place 1-2 drops of a single oil or a pre-prepared blend of oils on the inhaler, then hold it close to the nose and breathe in periodically. Inhalers can be a piece of porous jewelry, a piece of cloth or handkerchief, or inhalers made of a wick of sorts placed in a glass tube. Ideally for personal benefit such as clear breathing, focus, anxiety, headaches, and stress relief. Ex: eucalyptus, bergamot, peppermint.
- Steam inhalation – Technically also personal inhalation, “tenting” is more intensive and not very portable. When the oils need to be inhaled in greater concentration and affect the respiratory system more directly, 2-3 drops of a single oil or pre-prepared blend can be placed in a bowl of boiling water – usually warmed in and poured from a tea kettle. Place a towel over your head and drape it over the bowl (forming a tent, of sorts), close your eyes, and breathe deeply. Ideally for clearing the nasal passages and respiratory system. Ex: eucalyptus, citrus, tea tree.
- Sprays – Aromatic sprays have benefits of both inhalation and, in the case of antimicrobial oils, surface cleaning benefits. Combine 10-20 drops of a combination of oils to ½ oz alcohol or witch hazel, then add ½ oz distilled water and shake to combine. Spritz in the air, on linens, or on clothes as desired. Ideally for air freshening, cleaning, antimicrobial purposes, body sprays, and even topical anti-inflammatory benefits and healing. Ex: tea tree, lemon, thyme.
Special Note on Steam and Reed Diffusers
By far, the most effective and most popular way to utilize aromatherapy is through steam diffusion. You can easily find diffusers online (this is my favorite one). Simply:
- Fill your diffuser with tap water up to the “fill line” or fill marker.
- Add 4-6 drops of your favorite oil or blends, see below for LOTS of great DIY recipes.
- And enjoy. Voila!
Mama Z and I love the diffusers by Aroma2Go which have a sophisticated “Euro” look and either glass or BPA free plastic components for safety.
Reed diffusers are more “old school” and are the more traditional way to utilize aromatherapy. What did people do before electricity, right? 😉
Not as simple as steam diffusers, but still very easy to do. Once you get a small glass container with a narrow opening (you can usually find some good one at thrift stores). Simply add in:
- Several reed diffuser sticks (these are the ones I bought) OR bamboo skewers (4-6 should do)
- 1/8 cup – 1/4 cup carrier oil (depending on the size of your bottle)
- 15-25 drops of essential oils (as low as 15 drops for 1/8 cup carrier oil and as much as 25 drops for 1/4 cup)
Favorite Essential Oil Blends
Here are some of my favorite essential oil blends for everyday use, special occasions and more!
We recommend making these ahead and reusing old 5 ml bottles so you have them prepared ahead of time. Be sure to label your bottles so you don’t forget what’s in it! Start by mixing 10 drops of each essential oil in your empty bottle and then tweak the ratio to create a smell that works for you.
- Christmas Blend – Fir needle (Balsam fir, Douglas fir, white fir), peppermint and vanilla absolute
- Deep Breathing Blend – Cardamom, eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree
- Focus Blend – Cedar wood, frankincense, sandalwood and vetiver
- Good Bye Allergy Blend – Lavender, lemon, and peppermint
- Healthy Digestion Blend – Anise, caraway, fennel, ginger, lemon, tarragon
- Holy Anointing Blend – cassia, cinnamon, frankincense, myrrh
- Immune Boosting Blend – Cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary, orange and lemon
- Joyful Blend – Orange, lemon, bergamot, grapefruit and vanilla absolute
- Sleepy Time Blend – Roman chamomile, lavender, and vetiver
Spring Inspired Diffuser Blends
After a long, cold, dark winter, we’re all happy to see the tulips and daffodils and we welcome the scents of spring. From clothes hanging on the line to that clean house smell, our spirits are lifted by the bright colors and fresh scents including the best essential oil scents.
These spring diffuser blends of the best essential oil scents will bring spring indoors! Plus you’ll get to enjoy the aromatherapy benefits of the best essential oil scents used in each recipe. Close your eyes, inhale, and picture the sheets flapping in the breeze. Ahhh.
- Good Morning, Sunshine! – 3 drops orange, 1 drop each ylang ylang, 1 drop bergamot
- Clothesline Fresh – 2 drops lemongrass, 2 drops grapefruit, 3 drops cedarwood
- Happy Gardener – 2 drops each peppermint, 1 drop basil, 1 drop lime
- Raindrop Lullaby – 3 drops lemon, 3 drops vetiver
- Clean, Clean, Clean – 2 drops lemon, 2 drops lime, 1 drop rosemary, 1 drop lavender
- Tutti Frutti Candy – 2 drops geranium, 2 drops lemongrass, 2 drops grapefruit
Christmas Essential Oil Blends
Nothing says Christmas like the scent of a real tree or grandma’s cookies! These Christmas essential oil blends for your diffuser will help you enjoy the scents of the season all winter. Plus you’ll get to enjoy the aromatherapy benefits of the essential oils used in each recipe. Close your eyes, inhale, and let the holiday memories bring a smile to your face!
See more about the kingly gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh!
For these Christmas essential oil blends follow the instructions that came with your diffuser. Fill to the fill-line with water then drop in the oils!
- Oh, Christmas Tree! – 3 drops douglas or white fir, 2 drops cedarwood, 1 drop of juniper berry
- Grandma’s Cookies – 3 drops ginger, 2 drops clove, 1 drop cinnamon
- By the Fire – 3 drops cardamom, 1 drop each orange, cinnamon, clove
- Let it Snow! – 3 drops eucalyptus, 2 drops juniper berry, 1 drop sage
- Kingly Gifts – 3 drops frankincense, 2 drops myrrh, 1 drop sage
- Carol in the Woods – 2 drops sandalwood, 1 drop cedarwood, 1 drop cypress, 1 drop myrrh
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!