Cucumbers can be found just about everywhere you look in the summer months! Whether fresh from your own backyard garden or carefully selected at the roadside stand on your way home, the simple flavor and texture brings such a brightness to salads. The best thing about this spinach and cucumber salad is that it is beautifully and gloriously GREEN!
While you could certainly add some other veggies into the mix to add to the color palette, I love the simplicity of both the look and the taste, just as it is.
The salad will pair with any dressing recipe that you prefer and we have some simple-to-make homemade options already available on the site for you. Try a homemade French salad dressing, or try this simple vinaigrette below.
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Bragg apple cider vinegar
- 1 large cage-free organic egg, or 1 tablespoon egg replacer plus 2 tablespoons purified or distilled water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend or herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- ¼ freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped organic bok choy stalks and leaves
- 2 cups organic Tuscan kale or other kale (first remove stem and spine and then tear into small pieces)
- 2 cups organic baby spinach
- 2 large organic cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Organic chia sprouts or your favorite sprouts or microgreens, for garnish
- Mini blender or small mixing bowl
- Large salad bowl
- Plates for serving
- Pour the olive oil into a mini blender or whisk it in a bowl. Slowly pour in the cider vinegar to emulsify.
- Add the egg and blend thoroughly. Season with chives, dried herbs, sea salt, and white pepper. Set aside while you make the salad.
- Toss the bok choy, kale, spinach, and cucumbers in a salad bowl.
- As you plate the salad, top each serving with a small amount of chia sprouts. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
As you plate, top each serving with a small amount of microgreens, then drizzle apple cider vinaigrette to taste.
Fresh, raw foods like this simple cucumber salad are packed with so many amazing benefits. Spinach is one of the green superfoods that is rich in chlorophyll. This amazing natural component is known to have cancer-fighting properties because of its ability to bind with certain carcinogenic molecules. Spinach is also known to be high in zinc. Zinc deficiencies are known to cause a range of medical symptoms, including leaky gut syndrome, weakened immunity, and many more. And of course, chia seeds have many health benefits.
Using apple cider vinegar as the main component of the flavor profile for the vinaigrette dressing for this cucumber salad is beneficial, as well. Apple cider vinegar is known to be a metabolism booster, plus has positive effects on diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure. It is a go-to in the kitchen for just about everything and one of my Plus, the flavors of vinegar and cucumber are so naturally paired! When pressed for time, it’s easy to make a simple side dish of cucumbers pickled with nothing more than some apple cider vinegar, a drizzle of honey to cut the acidity, and a little salt and pepper.
Ready to learn more about how to stock foods in your fridge and pantry that can help you to lead a more healthy and radiant life? Download my Recipe Makeover today and start swapping out some of your pantry staples for healthier alternatives and take the first steps down a healthier path!