Cucumbers can be found just about everywhere you look in the summer months! Whether fresh from your own backyard garden or carefully selected at the roadside stand on your way home, the simple flavor and texture brings such a brightness to salads. The best thing about this spinach and cucumber salad is that it is beautifully and gloriously GREEN!
While you could certainly add some other veggies into the mix to add to the color palette, I love the simplicity of both the look and the taste, just as it is.
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced thin
- Chia sprouts or your favorite sprouts/microgreens
- Combine in a bowl or on your plate, and drizzle with a homemade vinaigrette dressing!
The salad will pair with any dressing recipe that you prefer and we have some simple-to-make homemade options already available on the site for you. Try a homemade French salad dressing, or try this simple vinaigrette below.
- ¼ cup Herbal or Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 raw egg or ½ Tablespoon Egg Replacer + 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon favorite herb blend (Italian or Herbs de Provence is great)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place vinegar in the blender.
- While blending, pour in olive oil in a slow stream to emulsify.
- Add in egg and blend thoroughly.
- Season with herb blend and salt and pepper.
- Set dressing aside as you prepare the salad.
- Place spinach and cucumbers in a large bowl and toss to combine.
As you plate, top each serving with a small amount of microgreens, then drizzle apple cider vinaigrette to taste.
Fresh, raw foods like this simple cucumber salad are packed with so many amazing benefits. Spinach is one of the green superfoods that is rich in chlorophyll. This amazing natural component is known to have cancer-fighting properties because of its ability to bind with certain carcinogenic molecules. Spinach is also known to be high in zinc. Zinc deficiencies are known to cause a range of medical symptoms, including leaky gut syndrome, weakened immunity, and many more. And of course, chia seeds have many health benefits.
Using apple cider vinegar as the main component of the flavor profile for the vinaigrette dressing for this cucumber salad is beneficial, as well. Apple cider vinegar is known to be a metabolism booster, plus has positive effects on diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure. It is a go-to in the kitchen for just about everything and one of my Plus, the flavors of vinegar and cucumber are so naturally paired! When pressed for time, it’s easy to make a simple side dish of cucumbers pickled with nothing more than some apple cider vinegar, a drizzle of honey to cut the acidity, and a little salt and pepper.
Ready to learn more about how to stock foods in your fridge and pantry that can help you to lead a more healthy and radiant life? Download my Recipe Makeover today and start swapping out some of your pantry staples for healthier alternatives and take the first steps down a healthier path!