Research has shown that consuming cooked black beans leads to lowered risk and incidence of breast, colon, liver, lung, and prostate cancers. The exact mechanism of this phenomenon is unknown, but it is suspected that the phytochemicals of black beans, including phenolic compounds (flavonoids and tannins), phytic acid, triterpenes, and phytosterols may be responsible for their anticancer properties.
Try making these with your kids. They’ll love being part of the process and “playing” kitchen. Not to mention, they’re super yummy!
Gluten Free Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 15 ounces of soaked dry black beans
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 droppers full of vanilla flavored liquid stevia
- ¼ cup honey or coconut crystals (omit if on Fast Track)
- Dash of finely ground pink Himalayan salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In two medium bowls, mix dry and wet ingredients separately in the order listed above.
- In large bowl, mix the dry and wet mixtures together. More coconut milk may need to be added depending on the flour you use. Gluten-free alternatives tend to be heavier and require more liquids. With coconut flour, for instance, you'll want to use about a cup milk to achieve that perfect brownie-batter consistency.
- Pour into 8×8 greased baking pan. (Try greasing it with coconut oil. Works great and adds a nice flavor).
- Cook for 30-40 minutes depending on the flour you use. Test with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Store in refrigerator.
Sometimes I like some grated coconut flakes or walnuts in my brownies. If you add some dry ingredients, you may need to add a little extra coconut oil and milk. Don't go overboard. A little goes a long way.
Be creative! Have fun!
Have you ever tried black bean brownies? Pretty yummy, huh?
Here are some more of our favorite dessert recipes that have healthy ingredients – check them out for yourself!