This homemade tile cleaner recipe is simple to put together. Just a few ingredients that you probably have in your cabinet and you will have sparkling tile in no time.
Essential Oils for Cleaning
When it comes to creating homemade bathroom cleaners the best way to avoid toxic chemicals in most commercial cleaners is to use essential oils known for their cleaning power. Here are some of my favorites to use in my homemade bathroom cleaners.
- Tea Tree – Tea tree essential oil is a proven anti-bacterial choice…a must for a homemade bathroom cleaner! BONUS: It’s also great for fungal control which will help prevent mildew in a moisture-rich environment like the bathroom.
- Citrus oils – Lemon, orange or other citrus oils are powerful cleaning agents. Plus, I just love the uplifting scent of lemon for a homemade bathroom cleaner. This is a go-to for household cleaning sprays I make for myself.
Other essential oils you could turn to have proven anti-microbial or anti-bacterial properties and could be used in homemade tile cleaner sprays include: oregano, lavender, geranium, peppermint, clove, and turmeric. Personalizing your cleaning spray is easy to do when you’re making it yourself.
Which essential oil do you add to your DIY tile cleaner? This homemade cleaner is great for cleaning your bath tub and when used on grout.
Also check out my bug repellent floor cleaner when dealing with pests.
Make Homemade Tile Cleaner
- 1 gallon hot distilled water
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap
- 20 drops essential oils*
- Mop bucket
- Mop, rag, or scrubbing brush to wash floors
- Fill a mop bucket with hot water first to prevent a soap bubble overflow.
- Add the vinegar, soap, and essential oils. Stir well.
- To use, dip a mop, rag, or scrubbing brush into the solution and use it to clean your tile floor or bathtubs.
- Store any leftovers in a large unbreakable bottle or bucket with a lid.