If you’re like me, you spend a lot of time washing dishes, cleaning house, and digging around in the garden. All this in and out of water, exposure to the weather and soil can dry out our hands in a jiffy! That’s why I love this homemade hand cream recipe.
Lotion for Dry Skin
The more we are washing our hands and using alcohol-based hand sanitizer, the more we dry our skin out. And dry skin can crack, create opportunity for infection, be itchy and uncomfortable, and look unsightly. We aren’t saying to not wash your hands. But we can use a homemade hand cream that will be a soothing lotion for dry skin. This formula is more than a lotion… it’s thick, more like a butter so it’s going to soak in and allow the essential oils to heal those tired hands.
Unlike many hand cream products on the market, this one uses natural and non-toxic ingredients only. This means that your skin isn’t absorbing toxic ingredients.
You can use your favorite essential oils to make this homemade hand cream recipe your own! I love to use a little peppermint and orange oil. The peppermint is a tad zingy and the aroma of these oils wakes me up and makes me feel alive. If you want a more woodsy scent the cedarwood is a really good choice. Flowery sound good? Try geranium…
Whatever you do, try to stick to 20 drops total for this homemade hand cream and still use some myrrh in your blend. It really is good for your skin!
Homemade Hand Cream
If you want to make this homemade hand cream recipe even harder, more like a lotion bar, you can experiment with adding more beeswax. Add a little more than this base recipe calls for and cool some on a glass plate to see how hard it gets. Keep adding till you get it just right!
NOTE: Do this before you add your essential oils to this homemade hand cream recipe. Remember that heating the essential oils can change their chemistry and thus impact their healing properties.
A moisturizing, healing cream for dry hands. Perfect for gardeners!
- ¼ cup unrefined shea butter
- ⅛ cup Mama Z’s Oil Base or favorite carrier oil*
- 1 tablespoon beeswax**
- 15 drops essential oils***
- Put a glass jar or measuring cup in a pan of ½-1 inch of simmering water. Melt the shea butter, beeswax, and sweet almond or jojoba oil together in the glass container, stirring with a wooden utensil as the ingredients melt. (A popsicle stick works great for this because you can throw it away when you’re done!)
- When all your ingredients are melted, remove the jar from the pan and allow the mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add your blend of essential oils and stir well. Before the mixture cools, pour it into a glass salve container or shallow jar. It will take several hours to harden into a cream, but it will be worth the wait!
* No matter what allergies you may have, there’s a carrier oil that’s right for you. You can use any, or a combination of these: Avocado, Fractionated Coconut, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.
***You can use a blend of your favorites, depending on the scent you like! Some oils like myrrh, lavender, frankincense, and cedarwood are great for your skin and circulation. Try pairing these with other favorites!
Learn how to convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!