Sometimes you need a little extra power when it comes to your household cleaner. This DIY not only creates a homemade heavy duty cleaner with essential oils, but it includes a re-useable wipes component that makes less waste and toxic chemicals in your home.
Go Green with Reuseable Wipes
Your kids can use the tee shirt or wash cloths to help clean around the house, and then simply toss them into the laundry with some of our non-toxic laundry detergent. No toxic cleaner chemicals on sensitive skin or in your home – and better for the environment!
To start, you’ll need a wide-mouth 1-quart mason jar or other glass container for your homemade heavy duty cleaner. You’ll also need one tee shirt cut into pieces easy to hold in the hand for scrubbing. Great for repurposing a shirt that has holes but you don’t want to toss.
However, if you prefer terry wash cloths, you can easily use those instead. By creating homemade reusable wipes for your heavy duty cleaner solution you will keep your home spic and span without having to run to the grocery store or toss disposable wipes into the landfill.
Find more essential oil cleaner recipes here. Looking for more ways to transform your home from a toxic environment to a healthy environment? Check out the free viewing of the Healthy Home Makeover Tour.
Heavy Duty Cleaner with Essential Oils
- 5 oz rubbing alcohol
- 4 oz water (distilled/purified)
- 3 oz organic, white distilled vinegar
- 12-24 drops essential oils*
- Add the essential oils to your rubbing alcohol in a glass bowl and gently mix.
- Add the vinegar, mixing gently, and then add the water.
- Add your tee shirt pieces to the quart jar and pour your cleaning mix on top. You want enough tee shirt pieces in the jar so that they are damp, but not dripping, and the majority of the cleansing mix is absorbed.
- This is perfect to help simplify chores for kids, scrubbing up a quick yucky, or giving a little extra attention to an area that needs a special blessing.
- Toss the shirt wipe into the next load of laundry so it can be reused!
I love using an immunity blend with equal parts cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon, orange and rosemary when there’s something being passed around the kids’ play groups or around the neighborhood. You can also use your favorite citrus oil, tea tree, thyme, or other essential oils as desired.