I have a lot of family and friends that suffer from skin related problems. One of them is dermatitis – which is the inflammation of the upper layers of the skin that results in redness, itching, pain, or possibly blistering.
Common causes of dermatitis are allergies, fungal infections, irritations, and dehydration. I came up with this combo of essential oils for dermatitis to use in my salve base. It is a much more comprehensive combination, but well worth the results.
Essential Oils for Dermatitis
There are several essential oils for dermatitis that I like to use in my salve base for wintertime hydration, chest rubs, and anytime more skin hydration is needed.
For example, geranium essential oil is perfect for sensitive skin. It has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps soothe irritated skin. Rosemary helps counteract the effects of cortisol stress hormones that can create an inflammatory response in your body.
The same can be said for frankincense essential oil…it’s a grounding oil that is so useful for pain and inflammation. Taken together with the rest of the oils in this formulation, the ingredients work harmoniously to soothe skin irritation.
What essential oils for dermatitis are your favorite to add to a skin-healing salve base? Although this recipe calls for several different oils, you can make it in advance and use it over a longer period of time.
Dermatitis Healing Salve
- 4 oz. Mama Z’s Salve Base
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops melaleuca essential oil
- 3 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 3 drops juniper berry essential oil
- 2 drop patchouli essential oil
- 2 drop frankincense essential oil
- 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 drop bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop rosemary essential oil
- 4 oz. empty deodorant container or glass salve jar
- Slowly warm your salve to a liquid by placing outdoors in a sunny area or using a space heater inside your room until it is melted to room temperature. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler on the stove.
- Once salve is liquid then add essential oils, blend. If using the double boiler method, make sure the salve is cool enough to be tolerated touching before adding the essential oils to avoid damaging them with boiling temperatures.
- Store in an empty deodorant container or glass salve jar.