Most crumb pie crust recipes are made with processed white flour, white sugar, and are chock-full of gluten. Even if you don’t have a gluten allergy or intolerance, this will leave you not feeling your best after you eat. Our cookie crumb style pie crust is made with gluten-free cookies which are typically made with nut flour and coconut sugar, which are a delicious and more healthy option.
- Coconut-oil or olive-oil cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups crumbs from gluten-free coconut sugar cookies, such as Simple Mills Crunchy Cinnamon or Crunchy Toasted Pecan Cookies
- ¼ cup (½ stick) grass-fed butter or raw organic coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 9-inch pie pan
- Food processor
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mist a 9-inch glass pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine the cookie crumbs, butter, and salt and process until evenly mixed. Put aside 2 to 3 tablespoons of the crumb mixture for the topping.
- Press the remaining mixture firmly and evenly against the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes before adding the pie filling.
This cookie crumb style pie crust goes perfectly with our allergy-friendly cheesecake, which is Dr Z’s absolute favorite. You can also add your own favorite pie filling, depending on your own family’s preferences.
There is so much you can do to incorporate this simple pie crust into your favorite pie recipes and enjoy the desserts that your family looks for at the holidays while making them a better, more healthful choice.
Learn More About Creating A Healthy Home Learn how to give your kitchen, pantry, laundry room, bathroom and garden a total health makeover with our FREE 5-episode toxic-free, healthy home makeover tour.
Small changes like this are how we began to make our move to a healthier, toxic-free lifestyle. Simply swapping out an ingredient here or there adds up and before you know it, you’ve changed your eating habits completely! You won’t believe the change in how your body feels when you’re avoiding processed, chemical laden foods and instead fueling yourself with the natural gifts that God has provided for us.
Want to learn more about the changes we made in the kitchen and pantry, as well as the rest of our home, to begin to remove toxins from our environment? Check out Dr. Z and Mama Z’s Toxic-Free Healthy Home Makeover. You learn simple steps that can help you to make the move to a healthy, toxic-free lifestyle. From the air you breathe in your home to the way you launder your clothes and from the food you grow and what you keep in your pantry, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to get rid of dangerous chemicals in your home and your food.