Whether you’re choosing a fully vegetarian or vegan lifestyle or if you enjoy a bit of meat now and then, spaghetti sauce is easy to adapt. The below recipe can be made using grass-fed beef as we avoid processed meat and pork, or as a vegetarian dish by replacing the meat with spinach – one of our favorite super foods.
- 1 (16-ounce) package gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 pound ground meat (grass-fed beef or turkey) OR 1 pound spinach (optional)
- 1 medium onion or 1½ tablespoon dried onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic Roma or garden fresh tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic Italian spiced or garden fresh tomatoes
- 1 small can organic tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Handful of organic carrots or beets
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- Fresh chopped or dried basil, oregano, parsley & thyme to taste
- If using meat, brown 1 pound of ground meat and set aside. Brown onion and garlic in extra-virgin olive oil. If using meat then combine it back with the onion and garlic back in the pan. Blend both cans of tomatoes or the fresh tomatoes from the garden with the can of tomato paste, red wine, carrots, and/or beets. (You will need to do this in 1-2 parts depending on the size of your blender).
- Cook for a while to evaporate all the alcohol from the wine. This will help your sauce not be acidic. Add 1 large bay leaf, maple syrup, sea salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
- Prepare your gluten-free pasta by heating the water to boiling with sea salt. Add pasta and some olive oil to prevent sticking. Cook until the minimum cooking time is reached and then shut the burner off for a few more minutes. Then drain off liquid and place plain spaghetti back in pot with some olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Once meal is completed, put plain pasta in container with olive oil. Reheat in hot liquid.
I love making my homemade spaghetti sauce with tomatoes fresh from my garden. Tomatoes seem to be one of those garden staples which grow fairly easily and in abundance. A tomato surplus straight from your organic garden can be easily turned into large pots of homemade sauce for use in recipes like our gluten-free lasagna or for a big special occasion meal with family and friends.
Want to get some of Mama Z’s best gardening tips so you can grow your own plethora of tomatoes for homemade sauce? Dr. Z and Mama Z’s Toxic-Free Healthy Home Makeover walks you through the garden, sharing how you can avoid toxic chemicals and grow safe, healthy, organic foods for your family. You’ll also get a tour of their kitchen, pantry, laundry, and bathroom to find out how they have made changes over time to live a completely toxic-free life in their home.
Learn how to make your own healing remedies, convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!