As far as history tell us, cultures around the world regularly pickled and fermented foods to preserve them. Unknowingly, they were creating superfoods jam-packed with healthy microorganisms (“probiotics”) and enjoyed bowel regularity, robust immune systems and healthy, long lives because of them. Did you know that 80% of your immune system is housed in your gut? Yep, which is why we need to eat a diet rich in probiotics to counteract all of the toxins that we encounter every day in our water, air and food!
Oddly enough, processed foods have made eating cultured dairy and veggies less desirable for many people today, but I don’t see why. Fermented veggies (sauerkraut and kimchi) and milk (raw yogurt and kefir) are fantastic! Don’t believe me? Try this simple kimchi recipe!
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ red onion
- 2 tablespoons Finely Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
- 16oz. purified water
- Chop bell peppers and onion, shred cabbage and mince garlic. Combine all the veggies in a big bowl and add the salt.
- Rub Finely Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
- into the vegetables and let them sit in a large bowl for 6 hours to help draw out the juices.
- Pack vegetables and their juices into mason jar.
- If the vegetables are not completely submerged add purified water to cover the veggies.
- Screw on a plastic lid and let it sit for 24 hours on the counter.
- After the first 24 hours, every 12 hours "burp" your jar for one week by opening up the lid quickly and closing immediately so that air can come in and feed the aerobic bacteria that are fermenting the veggies.
- After the first week let it sit for another 2-3 weeks always making sure liquid is covering your vegetables.
How about you? What are YOUR favorite fermented foods?
I’ve posted a lot of other healthy and delicious recipes you can try for yourself.
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!