Customize Your Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe!
The great thing about granola is you can start with a base then customize with your favorite nuts, dried fruits, some coconut, or even a few healthy chocolate chips. I like to change it up. Sometimes we use sliced almonds. Sometimes chopped pecans. Often we add chia seeds for their benefits. You can use half raw local honey and half maple syrup, or all maple syrup.
This gluten free granola recipe is fantastic mixed with plain dairy-free yogurts like Daiya or our homemade almond milk.
- 7 cups organic quick or rolled oats
- ½ cup raw organic coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- ½ cup raw organic honey
- ½ cup Grade A Dark Amber maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon organic pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 cup raw pecans or raw almonds, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sugar-free organic dried fruit, chopped*
- 1 cup vegan, dairy-free, stevia-sweetened chocolate chips (optional)**
- Large bowl
- 2-3 large baking sheets or cookie sheets
- Air-tight containers for storage
- Preheat the oven to 225°F.
- Combine the oats, coconut oil, honey, maple syrup, sea salt, vanilla, and chia seeds (if using) in a large bowl.
- Distribute the mixture evenly onto 2-3 large baking dishes or cookie sheets.
- Bake for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to ensure the granola crisps evenly.
- If using coconut flakes or nuts: Take the granola out of the oven just before done. Add the coconut flakes and pecans. Bake for 5 more minutes or until lightly golden.
- If adding fruit or chocolate: Let the granola cool completely before adding any extras.
- Store in an air-tight container for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!
** We love using Lily’s Dark Chocolate Baking Chips that are stevia-sweetened. You can also use Hu Chocolate Baking Gems.