This dish tastes amazing! Like so many of my recipes, it can be made ahead and frozen. So if you’re going to serve it for an occasion like Christmas Eve, you can make this ahead to use as your main dish, and freeze it. That way, it’s all set beforehand and all you have to do is pop it in the oven and make some side dishes. This will cut down on your holiday meal prep, leaving you free to enjoy the time with your family and friends.
Get Ready to Fall in Love with Chicken Roll Ups
These chicken roll ups recipe yields moist chicken breasts that are bursting with flavor, so get ready for your family to ask for this every holiday!
- ½ cup grass-fed butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon oregano, chopped
- ½ teaspoon marjoram, chopped
- ½ teaspoon parsley, chopped
- ¼ lb Monterey-Jack-style dairy-free cheese alternative, in block form
- 4 boneless skinless organic free-range chicken breasts, halved
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine dry gluten-free breadcrumbs
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Mixing bowls
- Wooden mallet
- Baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the butter, oregano, marjoram, and parsley in a small bowl. Spread half of the herbed butter on top of the cheese block, and score the remaining butter into eight even pieces.
- Place the butter mixture and cheese block in the refrigerator to harden.
- Place the halved chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten with a wooden mallet.
- Coat the chicken rolls, front and back, with gluten-free flour. Dip in beaten eggs, and last, breadcrumbs.
- Remove the cheese block from the refrigerator and cut it into eight even pieces based on the butter markings. Place one of these sticks on each pounded chicken breast.
- Roll each piece of meat as you would a jellyroll. Fasten with toothpicks.
- Place the chicken roll ups on a greased baking sheet and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, unwrap the saved butter and melt it in a small saucepan. Stir in the wine.
- When the oven timer goes off, pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 15 more minutes.
- We like serving this meal with brown rice. Pour the liquid from the dish over the chicken for a savory touch. Enjoy!
You can freeze them for up to 4 months. When you're ready to bake them, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bake as usual.
Want another chicken main dish that is sure to delight? Try Mama Z’s Simple Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe!