Not many people are happy to see a spider. Some people don’t care one way or the other, but most will do whatever it takes to get that spider away from them. This homemade spider spray recipe is an easy-make solution that you can use all around your house, even where a baby crawls. It is all-natural and can be as simple as putting 3 ingredients in a spray bottle!
A Word About Spiders
Before we get into keeping spiders away, let’s think about the fact that God did create them too. Our goal isn’t to kill off all the spiders – just to keep them out of our house! After all, spiders are useful and a part of the necessary food chain. They eat other insects and mosquitoes, and they are food for birds, reptiles, and amphibians. “Spider silk is used in making gun sights, range finders, bomb sights, surveying transits and levels, astronomical telescopes, optical reticules.”
Are you thinking, “That’s great, but I still don’t want them in my house!” No problem. The following homemade spider spray recipe will be a big help to you. Here are some other things you can do outside, to make your home even more unappealing to spiders:
- Check around your house and garden to see if you have inadvertently created refuges for bugs – like a firewood or other wood pile, stacked flowerpots, unused bricks, a recycle bin that hasn’t been emptied in a while, and other debris. Move those items away from your house.
- Evaluate your flower beds to find where they are active. Use cedar mulch to repel many types of bugs. Sprinkle cinnamon around the foundation of your house; it is strong and bitter to spiders and ants.
- Plant herbs that repel spiders, especially by your doors and windows. Some good herbs for that are mint, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon verbena, lemon grass, lemon balm. [Did you figure out that they don’t like lemon?] Bonus: These herbs smell good to humans.
- Add a thin layer of diatomaceous earth in areas where there is a lot of spider and insect activity. Preferably, not in an area where you will be walking or working. If you have a raised foundation, try dusting a layer of DE on the ground under your home.
If you are wondering why these things work as DIY spider repellent spray, the Encyclopedia of Entomology tells us that, “…Open-ended hair-like setae at the ends of the legs and pedipalps serve as taste receptors. Spiders will avoid pungent or acidic substances upon contact.”
The idea of this homemade spider spray recipe is to hit them with strong scents that they can’t stand. You’ll want to spray it weekly at the start so that you keep the scent strong. After they’ve decided that it is more comfortable to live somewhere else, and their activity dies down, you should be able to only spray once or twice a month.
You can also just keep the DIY spider repellent spray on hand for the seasons when insects are on the move and looking for a new home. Remember, if you are spraying it outside in the spring, the rain will wash away the scent and you’ll need to respray.
More pest-control help” If you are having trouble with ants or wasps in your garden you need to check out this recipe for Ant & Wasp Killer.
If you’re looking for a bug spray to use on your family’s skin this Essential Oil Bug Repellent is the recipe for you! Repel mosquitoes with essential oils in this natural spray blend! And lastly, this Homemade Bug Repellent Floor Cleaner will make your house unattractive to many types of bugs.
Homemade Spider Spray to Repel Pests
- 40 drops of essential oils*
- 4 oz filtered water
- 4 oz 190 proof grain alcohol (or the highest proof alcohol you can get)*
- 8 oz glass spray bottle
optional: tablespoon white vinegar – might affect fabrics
- Mix all of the ingredients in the spray bottle.
- Before using the spray, clean out any webs and egg sacs the spiders already made.
- Spray around windows, doors, and crevices, under cabinets and anywhere you see insect activity.
* Spider Repellent Essential Oils
- Citrus – lemon, grapefruit
- Tea Tree
Learn how to convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!