If you are vigilant and wipe up spills in the oven whenever they happen you won’t have to do a heavy scrub. We know that, but if your house is as busy as mine – that doesn’t happen. If you are reading this, that probably means the spills in your oven have not been cleaned out in a while. Don’t worry – here is a homemade oven cleaner that works to get all the mess out and make your oven walls shine.
This homemade oven cleaner that works can be made with totally natural ingredients. A homemade oven cleaner is much nicer to use than the self clean function on the oven. The auto oven clean takes a long time, might set off your smoke detector, and smells really bad. Of course you can get a chemical laden spray cleaner from the store, but do you really want to cook your food in the oven after using all those chemicals?
Making a Homemade Oven Cleaner That Works!
By keeping your oven clean you will help it be more efficient at reaching the temperature you want; and you’ll extend the life of your kitchen appliance. While the heat can kill bacteria, it’s healthier to make sure there is nothing hanging around in there. Having crusted on food on the oven walls can also affect the taste of your food. That’s why we love using essential oils to clean our home.
If you just have some light stains and spots you can try the steam clean method. Put a large pot of water in the oven and bake it at 450 degrees for around 30 minutes. The steam will loosen dirt and grease so you can wipe the oven clean once it cools down.
However, if your oven looks like it’s been through a world war you’ll need a bit more than steam to dislodge the crusty stuff. If the oven is really bad, it could take more than one application; and more scrubbing.
Here’s a recipe for homemade oven cleaner that works naturally to make your oven shine.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Spray
- 2 cups hot distilled water
- ½ cup liquid soap
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup hydrogen peroxide
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar [additional vinegar for rinse]
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil [optional]
- Glass bowls for mixing
- Rag, brush, or sponge for cleaning
- Spray bottle
- Empty everything out of the oven, including racks, thermometers, etc.
- Pour the liquid soap into a bowl with the hot water, mix, and wipe the oven down.
- Mix the baking soda, peroxide, vinegar, and essential oils in a medium-sized bowl to make a paste.
- Spread the paste all over the inside of the oven except on the heating elements.
- Let it sit for at least 4 hours; the longer you let it sit, the more it can work. You can even leave it on overnight, and it won't hurt anything.
- Remove the paste with a rag, brush, or scrub sponge.
- You can do a final rinse with a mixture of ⅓ vinegar and ⅔ water in a spray bottle for a streak-free finish.
Want to clean other areas of your house with natural cleaners? Here are some great ones to try:
- DIY Kitchen Cleaner
- Homemade Shower Cleaner
- Homemade Carpet Spot Cleaner
- Heavy Duty Cleaner with Resuable Wipes