Want to soften your skin and smell good? This homemade body powder recipe has essential oils and natural powders that can deodorize and soften your skin. You can even sprinkle some in your shoes to help them smell better!
Why should you make your own DIY body powder? Because a lot of the store-bought ones contain artificial fragrances and talc. Talc “may contain the known carcinogen asbestos” and it’s best to avoid rubbing it into your skin. (1)
It’s not hard to make your own homemade body powder recipe. Basically, you need a base powder, some herbs, and essential oil. Mix your favorites together and enjoy! This is super easy to customize for your family or to give as gifts.
Options to Personalize Your Body Powder
Remember to get non-gmo ingredients!
- benzonite clay
- corn flour
- cosmetic clay / kaolin [great if you want to use it primarily on your face]
- garbanzo bean flour
- oat flour
- rice flour
These help prevent fungal and bacterial spores from growing.
- baking soda
These need to be ground up very fine into a powder. You can use a mortar & pestle, a coffee/spice grinder, or a food processor.
- cinnamon (or nutmeg) in small amounts
- cocoa powder (in small amounts)
- jasmine buds
- lavender buds
- neem powder (extra deodorizing)
- rose petals/buds
- vanilla beans (the insides)
Essential oil suggestions
Of course you can limit it to 1 oil if that’s what you prefer, or if your herb is very aromatic.
- cinnamon, clove, and vanilla essential oil
- lemon and peppermint essential oil
- lime, orange, and lemon essential oil
- lavender and chamomile essential oil
- ylang ylang and clary sage essential oil
- Masculine scents: bergamot, vetiver, nutmeg, patchouli essential oil
Here are some more essential oil blend ideas. The possibilities really are endless!
Homemade Body Powder Recipe
This is a basic idea to get you started. You can customize this a lot of different ways. Refer to the article on DrEricZ.com for a list of different powders and essential oil ideas.
- 1 cup base powder(s)
- ½ – ¾ cup deodorizing powder(s)
- 3 tablespoons herbs
- 50 drops essential oils
- Make sure the herbs are finely ground into a powder.
- Mix all the powders together.
- Add the essential oils slowly, continuing to mix and break up any clumps.
- Store in a jar with a shaker top.
- Sprinkle on to body and lightly massage into skin.
Extra Tips for Homemade Body Powder
Add moisture to your homemade body powder recipe with a little bit of silk peptides, aloe vera, or pulverized cocoa powder in the mixture.
Some people use a powder for deodorant. If that’s your goal – mix an equal part baking soda with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and a little cinnamon. Those ingredients are known for their absorbent, deodorizing properties. Just rub the finished powder into your arm pits or wherever else you struggle with perspiration.
If you have trouble with humidity making your powder clump up, add some uncooked grains of rice into the mix. It’s the same idea as putting them into a salt shaker to absorb the moisture.
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!