After going all-natural with all my other hair-care, the last thing I had to tackle was DIY hair spray with essential oils.
Not only is this DIY hair spray good for your hair, it smells good, it’s super cheap to make, and it works every bit as good as the store bought stuff. And don’t let the sugar fool you! I too worried it would leave my hair sticky, or attract insects. But, it doesn’t!
Table of Contents
Best Ingredients for Homemade Hair Spray
I thought this might be difficult, after all, most of the recipes I found called for vodka. One of the reasons I wanted to use something natural was to get away from the drying-out caused by alcohol in modern hair sprays! Why would I put that on my hair.
After much searching I landed on a couple recipes for DIY hair spray that didn’t use any alcohol and I gave one a try. I’ve tweaked it a little here and there, added some of my favorite essential oils, and feel like I’ve come up with the perfect natural homemade hair spray recipe.
I have tried lots of little spray bottles for homemade hair spray and most of them end up gummed up, or not spraying a fine enough mist. Last year I got one of these locking amber glass spray bottles and I’ve been so happy with it! This bottle has a great trigger sprayer, super fine mist, and it locks, keeping my hairspray from making a mess in my overnight bag when I travel!
A Note About Photosensitization
Many essential oils can interact with tanning booth light bulbs and UV light from the sun so they should be used with caution. If you plan on spending all day in the sun, then you shouldn’t use the oils below. If you’re just going to work or something and will not be outside, then you should be fine.
Taken from the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy
- Angelica root (Angelica archangelica)
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
- Cumin Cuminum cyminum)
- Distilled or expressed grapefruit – low risk – (Citrus paradisi)
- Expressed lemon Citrus limon)
- Expressed lime (Citrus medica)
- Orange, bitter expressed – (Citrus aurantium)
- Rue (Ruta graveolens)
Non-Phototoxic Citrus Oils
- Bergamot: Bergapteneless
– FCF: Furanocoumarin Free (Citrus bergamia)
- Distilled lemon (Citrus limon)
- Distilled lime (Citrus medica)
- Mandarin- Tangerine (Citrus reticulata)
- Sweet orange (Citrus sinensis)
- Expressed tangerine (Citrus reticulata)
- Yuzu oil expressed or distilled – (Citrus juno)
See all our Homemade Hair Care Recipes with Essential Oils Here!
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 tablespoon organic, Fair Trade granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 25 drops essential oils*
- Glass spray bottle for storage
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the water to a simmer. Immediately remove from heat.
- Add the sugar and whisk until completely dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then add essential oils
- Store in a glass spray bottle with a fine mister.
- Shake before each use to distribute the essential oils as they separate.
Water-based DIY preparations have a limited shelf life, usually lasting 3-4 weeks, be aware of this, so you make the right amount for your needs.
Photosensitization – Many essential oils can increase your photosensitivity, so you should use them with caution. If you plan on spending all day in the sun, you shouldn't use the potentially phototoxic oils listed above, as the skin on your scalp can get sunburned, particularly if you are balding or have thinning hair.
Photosensitization – Many essential oils can interact with tanning booth light bulbs and UV light from the sun so they should be used with caution. If you plan on spending all day in the sun, then you shouldn’t use the oils below. If you’re just going to work or something and will not be outside, then you should be fine.
Taken from the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy:
- Photosensitizers – Angelica root Angelica archangelica, Bergamot Citrus bergamia, Cumin Cuminum cyminum, Distilled or expressed grapefruit (low risk), Citrus paradisi, Expressed lemon Citrus limon, Expressed lime, Citrus medica, Orange, bitter (expressed) Citrus aurantium, Rue Ruta graveolens.
- Non-Phototoxic Citrus Oils – Bergamot: Bergapteneless, (FCF: Furanocoumarin Free) Citrus bergamia, Distilled lemon Citrus limon, Distilled lime Citrus medica, Mandarin – Tangerine Citrus reticulata, Sweet orange Citrus sinensis, Expressed tangerine Citrus reticulata, Yuzu oil (expressed or distilled) Citrus juno