Summer is berry season. There are blackberries, elderberries, raspberries, blueberries and more to enjoy. With an abundance of frozen blueberries in our freezer from last summer and a fresh crop of berries ripening on our yard bushes, our blender is our daily go-to kitchen appliance. Whether you have a berry bush or two growing in your yard, visit a U-pick farm, or shop the local market, every urban homesteader can enjoy seasonal fruit now and for months to come.
The Easiest Fruits to Freeze for Blender Recipes
If you have access to fresh fruit in bulk, you’ll want to freeze bags of fruit to enjoy long after harvest has ended. The easiest fruits to freeze are those that don’t require blanching in hot water or chopping. Choose your favorites from the following list.
- Place fresh-picked blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and huckleberries in freezer bags, waiting to rinse the fruit under running water when ready to use.
- Seedless grapes and elderberries should be removed from the stem and frozen whole in freezer bags.
- To freeze kiwis or bananas, peel and halve before placing in freezer bags.
- Navel oranges are seedless and easy to freeze. Peel the orange and place whole or halved in a freezer bag.
- Fresh or frozen fruit on hand? It’s time to whip up some tasty, nutritious, antioxidant-rich blender beverages. More reasons why the blender is our favorite appliance during the summer: it’s ready in a minute or less, there’s no cooking required, and it doesn’t heat up the kitchen.
If you like smoothies you’ve got to check out this recipe for a Vanilla [or Chocolate] Blueberry Power Smoothie
This article was written by our friend Deborah Tukua. She’s a beautiful women inside and out who loves the Lord dearly and is a wealth of knowledge about natural living. She’s the author of the new, full-color book, Naturally Sweet Blender Treats: 55 Fresh-from-the-Blender Recipes, which includes recipes for making luscious ice cream, mousse, shakes, and an array of hot and chilled beverages in your kitchen blender in a minute or less. She is also the editor of Journey to Natural Living.
How about you? What are YOUR favorite summer blender treats?
Become a Natural Living Guru! To enjoy an abundant (healthy) life, we have found that living a life free of harmful chemicals is crucial for physical, mental, emotional and especially spiritual wellbeing. However, most people don't know where to start. So, to help you on your journey, we have created a 5-Part Video Home Tour that shows you exactly how we have detoxed our home (and life!). As part of our Natural Living Family, we want to give you an opportunity to watch it for FREE! All you need to do is reserve your spot by clicking HERE. We'll see you there!