If you’re one of the 80% of Americans who has suffered from back pain, natural sciatica relief is not only possible, it’s quite easy to enjoy!
Table of Contents
Sciatic Nerve & Spinal Misalignment
Made up of low back spinal nerves L4 – S2, the sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the human body and runs from the hip, down the back of the thigh, to the inside of the leg and finally the foot. Commonly affecting adults 25 to 45 years old, irritation or injury to the sciatic nerve is generally caused by what chiropractors call a “subluxation” in your lower spine. This is when a bone in your spine is out of place compressing or “pinching” the nerve. Falling on your back/buttocks or even sitting for prolonged periods typically causes this syndrome.
NLF Readers Get a FREE Print Copy!
We are on a mission to helping our Natural Living Family community master the art & science of using essential oils to make your own healing remedies and transform your home & body products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces. That's why we are giving you a FREE hard copy of our National Bestselling book.
Medical Vs. Chiropractic Model
Typically MD’s put their patients on bed rest for a few days, prescribe muscle relaxers or painkillers, and recommend physiotherapy. In severe or chronic cases steroid treatments are administered. Long heralded for their effectiveness, however, a recent article published in the Annals of Internal Medicine reviewed every study on steroid therapy and found it to be no more effective than conservative treatments.
Chiropractic journals, on the other hand, are filled with studies showing long-term resolution of leg pain and disability for patients with sciatica using solutions for natural sciatica relief.
For example, in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, a Norwegian study was conducted in 2007 where 44 patients from Central Hospital of Sogn and Fjordane all suffered from acute sciatic pain. After chiropractic care all but two patients returned to work. Fascinatingly, the sick leave among patients was reduced by two-thirds, as compared with patients undergoing typical medical treatments.
Natural Sciatica Relief Remedies
There are other ways, in addition to chiropractic care, to get natural sciatica relief:
- Live a Stress-Free Life: Whether through meditation, prayer, or tai chi, find your “happy place” and stay there. Stress is the number one killer in the world and causes muscle tightness, inflammation, and a slew of other issues that will aggravate sciatica. No wonder we’re told to, “Cast all your care upon him, for He cares for you.” (I Peter 5:7)
- Eat an Anti-Inflammatory Diet: A diet rich in foods like turmeric, ginger, garlic, kelp, and sweet potatoes are key to pain reduction and chronic disease reversal. Learn how incorporating bioactive foods can be the key to unlocking true health.
- Essential Oils: Wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, German chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus work together to ease achy joints and sore muscles. Its effects are deep and penetrating with sustained results. Make sure you purchase therapeutic grade essential oils because they will offer the most medicinal effects.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking the right amount of pure, filtered water every day is key to preventing muscle cramps and stiffness that can contribute to sciatica. Listen to your body, it will tell you how much to drink. Try our essential oil powered water recipe for double the goodness!
- Stretch: Lie on your back, hug one knee to your chest for 10 seconds, and then use the opposite arm to pull the knee across your body making sure to keep your hip from rising off the floor. Hold for an additional 10 seconds and repeat with the other leg. Do three reps at least three times a day.
- Stay Active: Our bodies are designed to be in constant motion. To combat the sedentary lifestyle that often contributes to sciatica, it is crucial to keep your body moving. Consider walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator or park in the last spot and walk that extra 100 meters. Try going on walks during your lunch break. Whatever it takes, make your life a life of movement. Learn the benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training and how to get started today.
- Core Strengthening: Yoga exercises like cat-cow, plank, and downward-facing dog are important to keep your abs and core strong to help support and protect the lower back. Need help building your body strength? Join Mama Z in her Fit40 & Beyond exercise class!
Learn how to make your own healing remedies, convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!
- Orlin JR, Didriksen A. Results of chiropractic treatment of lumbopelvic fixation in 44 patients admitted to an orthopedic department. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2007 Feb;30(2):135-9.
- Pinto RZ, et al. Epidural corticosteroid injections in the management of sciatica: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Dec 18;157(12):865-77.