We like to avoid hair detanglers for the same reasons that we avoid most shampoos and conditioners. The chemicals that get sprayed on or rubbed into our hair – or our children’s hair – work their way into the skin in multiple ways, including our pillowcases. Here’s how to make homemade hair detangler spray that you can safely use at any age.
How to Make Homemade Hair Detangler
The very simplest way to DIY hair detangler spray is to purchase an all-natural conditioner and water it down in a spray bottle. Use 1 tablespoon of natural conditioner in 6 ounces of distilled water. To add even more benefits, add 5 drops of essential oils in every 6 ounces of water.
However, natural conditioner can get expensive, and you can make your own for much cheaper. I’m going to share how to make DIY hair detangler spray with all-natural ingredients that you might already have.
Before we get to the recipe, I have another tip for you. If you are facing an intense detangling situation try using a carrier oil on the hair and working through it with a wide-tooth comb. Pick a small section, add some oil, start at the bottom, and work your way up. After you’re done wash and condition the hair to remove the excess oil.
Keep in mind that you can, and should, customize this recipe to what works best for the hair and skin you are using it for. Pick the carrier oil and essential oils that work the best for you. You can even vary the amounts used; just start on the low side and change it a little bit at a time until you get it where you need it to be.
See all our Homemade Hair Care Recipes with Essential Oils Here! There’s more information on essential oils for hair growth also.
- 4 oz glass spray bottle
- 24-32 drops essential oils*
- 1 tablespoon carrier oil – argan, jojoba, or caster oil
- distilled water
- ½ tsp aloe vera gel (optional)
- Add the essential oils and carrier oil into the bottle.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water.
- Shake lightly before each use.
- Spray lightly on hair before combing or brushing.
- To make it last longer, store it in the refrigerator.
- *Essential Oils that I love using for hair include lavender, peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree. I find this blend great for hair growth or fragile growth.
- Geranium is also great for frizz control and could be blended with any of the other oils above if this is an area of struggle for your hair.
- For added fragrance and scalp benefits consider thyme, ylang ylang, cedarwood, lemon, grapefruit, clary sage, orange, lime, and ginger added to any of the above.
- Dandruff control EOs include peppermint/spearmint/wintergreen, tea tree, thyme, cypress, cedarwood, lavender, and rosemary.
Learn how to convert all of your home and body care products into non-toxic, abundant life giving masterpieces, and take your confidence in using essential oils safely & effectively to the next level.
Get a FREE copy of our #1 Ranked, Bestselling Essential Oils Book, and we'll show you how! Just cover our shipping cost & we'll send it anywhere in the world. –> Redeem Your FREE Copy HERE!