Who doesn’t love to rub a baby’s soft skin? Sometimes their skin becomes dry just from being exposed to the air in a room; and that is normal. You can keep their skin nourished and smooth with this homemade baby lotion. It is best to use an all natural lotion because a baby’s skin can be very sensitive to chemicals that are used for dyes and fragrances. Using products with chemicals could even trigger the immune system and cause asthma or allergies.
Safe Ingredients for Baby’s Skin
It isn’t hard, and doesn’t take long, to make this DIY baby lotion that you can use without any worries! If your baby is less than 3 months old you might want to use something very basic like plain organic olive oil or coconut oil. After they are 3 months old you can add in some essential oils. Two popular ones to use are lavender essential oil and chamomile.
This is essential because so many bath and body products are actually FILLED with carcinogenic or dangerous ingredients. Common, unsafe ingredients include:
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate – SLS and SLES make up as much as 50% of the volume of body care products, including many baby cleansers, lotions and more.
- Phthalates – Found in many plastics and synthetic fragrances, phthalates are connected to lowered IQ levels and are known endocrine disrupters.
- Formaldehyde – What? Formaldehyde? Yes – Formaldehyde (and formaldehyde releasers such as: bronopol, DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, and quaternium-15) are found in MANY body care products including baby lotion.
Not to mention, if your lotion includes water in the ingredients, it’s actually taking water from your body and ultimately dehydrating your skin!
When you look at this list, is it any wonder that one of the first things I learned to do as a new mother was to DIY baby lotion myself? See my organic, natural recipe and make either a whipped or creamy version depending on your preference.
- Fill a small saucepan with 1-2 inches of water and place over high heat. Bring the water to boiling, then turn down to medium-high. Add the coconut oil, shea butter, and vitamin E oil (if using) to a double boiler or glass jar. Place inside the saucepan.
- Melt ingredients.
- Remove from heat and add essential oils. Stir to mix.
- Store in a glass jar and use as needed.
Joyful blend – equal parts of vanilla and orange
Sweet Sleep – lavender, chamomile, and vetiver
Any of the essential oil combinations from the Homemade Baby Powder DIY would probably work as well. This homemade baby lotion is similar to our Diaper Rash Cream Recipe and can be used as diaper cream too.